Monday, September 28, 2020

D-Day + 3

I hesitate to call it a routine but my Favorite Panamanian and I have settled into dealing with the aftermath of the prostate surgery. As predicted by a couple friends who went through the same procedure, each day is better. There’s still some residual pain but all at tolerable level and I haven’t had to dip into the oxycodone since Saturday, Tylenol is working fine. My wife continues to be the perfect nurse and has lost nothing off her authoritarian argumentative side which has kept me toeing the line in accordance with medical instructions.

This Morning

I was up and abut all day yesterday and made my six fifteen minute walks although that gets pretty tedious walking in a circle around the house. At least I had he NFL Red Zone to keep me company for most of those. The seating in the Man Cave theater is too low presently for comfortable seating with the catheter. We had a visit from a visiting nurse to check up on me and she was very good and answered a lot of the questions both my wife and I had. My appetite is also starting to return which is bad news for the jar full of peanut butter blossom cookies in the kitchen.

BR3 Looks a Little Nervous with her Sister

I went to bed last night at 7pm which is a full 5 hours before I usually do but I was truly exhausted. Predictably I awoke at 1am, wide awake. I’m sleeping with my nurse so she granted permission for some late nigh television which eventually coaxed me back to sleep. We’re going to try an afternoon nap today in hopes of getting me into my usual sleep patterns at night.

FBR in Mildly Goofy Mode

Great Smile

Playing Pac Man on Backyard Video Screen

We awoke this morning and I did indeed feel remarkably better than yesterday. I’d put me at nearly 50% capacity. It’s funny how much the little things everyone takes for granted are missed during times like this. Just getting out of bed requires some gymnastics and God forbid I drop anything on the floor. In other very good news I just got a call from the doctor and the catheter removal is scheduled! It’s still a week away but I can now start an official countdown. I had to provide a block of instruction for my wife this morning on the proper way of putting the rubbish out, that was a sneaky bit of fun.


The best part of the morning though was connecting with my daughter on her birthday. The FBR even allowed us to speak with her mom with only a couple minor interruptions. Before this whole prostate thing descended, we’d planned on traveling to New Jersey for her birthday weekend. She did it up right in our absence as she had a bunch of her lady friends over for a socially distanced party in the back yard where they watched Magic Mike on the huge screen hung on the side of the garage. I’m so proud of her. That little girl in the photo above has grown into a fantastic woman and dominates the roles of mother, wife, businesswoman, writer, and friend. The FBR is so  lucky to have this role model as he mom. I love you Heart – happy birthday!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment