Monday, September 21, 2020

Green House

The transformation of our house took another step (hopefully) today when I took part in a virtual home energy assessment. This is a free program offered by the state where the assessors come in and look at the house and make recommendations based on what they see in terms of heating, cooling, insulation and electrical use. I’ve had it done before in order to qualify for some rebates when we installed the split air conditioning system four years ago. I’m now thinking about replacing the heating system and needed another assessment. Since this is 2020 they only do them virtually which means I was carrying around my phone linked to a zoom call with a very nice young lady who did the assessment.


Tomorrow my heating company comes in to do an inspection and provide an estimate on putting in a more energy efficient heating and hot water system. It would be nice if we could get one win in 2020, especially in my September. I’ve always believed in taking care of the earth which stems from my youth when I spent a lot of time in the woods camping and with the boy scouts. The Army certainly cured me of my love of camping (the whole no lights or sound thing to remain “tactical) but I’ve retained my belief we need to clean up the environment.



I know this isn’t popular politically with some but we’ve come so far I know it can be done. It’s hard to believe for today generation but I clearly remember walking to 1st and 2d grade and wondering what color the brook was going to be because an upstream industry would dump chemicals that would turn it bright colors. Again, we’ve have come so far and I don’t want that progress and continuing it to be sacrificed at the altar of political popularism. We’ve only got the one earth we need to take better care of it.

Puzzle Completed

I had a very pandemic weekend, never leaving the homestead. The 1000-piece puzzle was completed in less than two days. It was kind of nostalgic as it was picture of the bus hub in Worcester which was built while I worked there. I received the puzzle as a retirement gift. I also watched a very entertaining football game late into the night. The Pats were out on the wrong coast playing their old buddies, the Seahawks, in Seattle. I didn’t give them much of a chance and even though they lost I was very encouraged by the new quarterback. He spread the ball around a lot more than Sir Thomas the Departed ever did. This is only the second game but this could be a very fun year with the Pats.

So Close

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment