Monday, September 7, 2020

A Very Spline Weekend

It may be Labor Day but I am in the midst of dealing once again with granddaughter separation syndrome. I still hadn’t fully recovered from two weeks with the FBR when I got tag teamed over the past weekend by the BRS and BR3. Luckily both granddaughter elements called this morning to wish me a good morning which helped immensely. It was a very good weekend.

Very Happy Abuela!

Grandpa Also!

We kicked it off with a most welcome guest at First Friday ceremonies when Keene Friend stopped by. I’ve remarked before but it remains a fact that one of the most deleterious effects of life in Pandemia is the lack of basic human contact, like spending an evening with an old friend just talking; okay a few beers and dead animal flesh might have been involved as well. It was an excellent way to kick off the weekend.

Deckzilla First Friday with Keene Friend

BRS Giving Dad Pointers on Screen Removal

We set out early Saturday (not as early as I would have liked but I do travel with a Panamanian, but again, I digress). The stated mission for the weekend was to replace all of the screens in my Favorite Son’s house, that is, in addition to time spent with the granddaughters and their parental units. The BRS is at a very fun age where she was very excited to welcome us. I cringed as she ran pell-mell towards us across the driveway as I feared she would fall. Of course, she did, but as I picked her up she ignored her skinned knee to deliver a granddaughter hug which is one of the few sure fire cures for the Pandemia blues.

Cooing Lessons with Abuela

BR3 is a Natural

Cake Frosting With the BRS



BR3 can now hold her head up and is becoming ever more engaged with the world. She seemed particularly fascinated with her abuela which made my Favorite Panamanian as happy as I’ve ever seen her.  The ABFA was particularly interested in my earlier success with my spline tool in replacing the window screens in our house and after seeing hers I completely understood. The sun and wind had rendered their window screens in tatters, much worse shape than ours had been.

Dad Already Mastered the Cooing

That's My Dad!

BRS Hijacking BR3's Ride

The screens fell apart as we were taking them out. My son was psyched once he saw how easy the process was with the right tools, spline tool I’m looking at you. As when we built the retaining walls together I treasured the time spent over the weekend with my son working together on this simple task. The BRS was likewise intrigued and provided the necessary comic relief at times. She offered a puzzle break (what is it about puzzles and my granddaughters?) and kept trying to help. Since there were a variety of sharp tools involved that wasn’t possible. Although I did summon her to help blow out some of the dust which she took very seriously.

Pictures of a Very Happy Abuela and BR3




As inevitably happens when I’m working a DIY project I sustained a minor cut to the hand which the BRS quickly identified as requiring a band aid which she demanded to administer herself. Likewise, my son tripped on the stairs (flip flops and stairs remain a bad combination) and fell on his butt. The BRS administered another band aid to his lower back and pronounced him ready to return to work.

Of Course Hojaldras Were Involved


The ABFA was truly pleased with the results of our efforts and pronounced the house transformed. I experienced a similar reaction when I did our house, it’s amazing what a difference it makes. My Favorite Panamanian helped by trying, semi-successfully, to keep the granddaughters engaged. She made a cake (a very good cake but no one tell the keto monitors!) which the BRS helped decorate – lots of frosting. There was also a fashion show as the BRS modeled the large number of dresses her cousin sent north with us. She was a true fashion explosion.

Son and I In Front of First Window Completed

BRS Helping Grandpa

The Team

Puzzle Break

My wife’s exertions with the granddaughters did not come without cost. In addition to the usual bone deep fatigue from trying to keep up with the energy on display she lost one of her favorite earrings. We think it was somewhere in the deep grass of the front yard where she and the BRS cavorted. This had us crawling around there on Sunday afternoon trying to find it. I went out for a second look after she told me how much they cost, nearly a quarter century ago. My son is going to rake the lawn today in hopes of finding it.

Happy BR3

And BRS

Nothing could dent the feelings of family that permeated the entire weekend. While my son and I accomplished a lot I don’t classify it as work since it was the rare opportunity to just spend time together.  My wife shared my contentment (except for the aforementioned earring) as she was able to get BR3 to coo on command by the time we left.

FBR on FaceTime Holding Up Controls She Says She Can Control Me With
I May Have Helped by Turning Circles on Command

FBR With Abuela Created Mask at the Zoo

We had several very pointed Facetime calls with the FBR over the weekend who made it very clear that she wished she could be with us to share in the fun. She didn’t look entirely happy to see the BRS sitting in my lap. She’s had her own adventures over the weekend. Her parents surprised her with a visit to a local zoo. They signed up for a slot and the FBR couldn’t wait to tell us of all the animals she saw. She’s convinced the otters put on a special performance just for her.

With Wingman at Zoo

Another great weekend in the books and maybe, just maybe, September won’t be as grisly as I feared. I do now the very best medicine anyone could acquire is to spend time with family and friends to enjoy life instead of just sitting home and worrying about it. The less said about the Red Sox games my son and I watched together the better, but again, there’s that word, together. Medicinal, indeed.

Great Weekend Indeed!

Thanks in Great Part to the BRS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment