Tuesday, September 29, 2020

D-Day + 4

Although I feel nothing even approaching normal (that could be due to the large tube sticking out of my, well, you know) I do feel significantly better today. My Favorite Panamanian’s idea to take an hour-long nap yesterday helped with being able to stay up late enough that my usual sleeping patterns were honored. It turns out that a body needs rest after major surgery, who knew? I’m still having problems with upper back and shoulder pain from having to sleep in one position. That’s causing me to wake up several times at night and walk for a while to loosen the shoulders back up. I got a call from the urology nurse today to see how I was doing. When I mentioned the shoulder pain she recommended I place a pillow under my knees while sleeping. She said this was a tried and true technique to reduce stress on the shoulders while sleeping on your back. I intend to investigate.

Out on the Road this Morning

I’ve been required to walk for fifteen minutes, six times a day since discharge. I’ve been doing that inside which can get more than a bit tedious. I’ve been wearing shorts and didn’t want to traipse around the neighborhood with a visible bag of urine attached to my leg. Yes, I was concerned about losing serious cool points within the neighborhood. Today I donned some loose sweat pants and my Favorite Panamanian accompanied for my walks around the neighborhood. It’s so much better getting outside. I don’t feel as much like a prisoner as I did when restricted indoors. Of course, tomorrow it’s scheduled to rain all day for the first time in months. My September 2020 just keeps rolling.


I’ve been back at “work” since yesterday and it’s testament as to how physically challenging my new job is that I can do it two days after major surgery. I had a nice conversation with the Cantankerous Friend this morning where we swapped catheter stories based on his experiences with his late dad. I firmly believe the best medicine for my recovery has been the steady beat of friends and family reaching out to contact me. I even got to spend some time in the Man Cave last night but I’m going to have to come up with a new seating arrangement. The couch is just too comfortable and I need more support than it offers. Likewise, I’m only now starting to work on puzzles because leaning forward in a chair is not comfortable yet. I spend a lot of my time reading, go figure. My daughter surprised me with a gift of the book, Dynasty, which chronicles the Patriots rise to the top of the NFL. It is fascinating. Once again, thanks to all my great friends and family for your messages, every single one means a lot.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment