Sunday, September 20, 2020

Time Destroyer

I think I can say with a verifiable amount of certainty that 2020 is dragging by at an unprecedented slow pace. I think life in Pandemia would be a little more tolerable if time passed as quickly as it seemed to before Covid 19 descended on us. As slowly as life was passing before September this month it approaches glacial. I know this is a personal observation based on everything September has in store for me. It could be I’ve got a bandage on my nose that grows in size each day as we try to keep it in place before Tuesday’s scheduled removal. It might be the size of a basketball by then.

FBR Doing a Great Job with her Mask at Pre-School

2020 claimed another icon with the death of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I’ve always admired her despite her appointment by that demon from the lower hells – Bill boy Clinton. It promises to add even more spice to the election season as the Republican Sente will be bombarded with their own comments from 2016 when they tied Obama’s hands when Scalia died in February. Ginsberg will be remembered as one of the true heroes of our times and I know she was trying to hang on until January; well fought.

RIP RBG

My Favorite Son and the ABFA had an interesting Saturday. They’ve been looking to replace the ABFA’s venerable car for the past few weekends. The ABFA’s parents came over to watch the BRS and BR3 while the search continued. The local dealer wouldn’t allow test rides so they went further afield and found the car they wanted. They left after being a thousand dollars apart. Anyone who’s ever bought a car knows how hard the dealer makes it to leave the dealership once they’ve identified you as a viable customer. I talked to my son when he returned home and allowed the BRS to express her concern with my rapidly increasing nose bandage.

The New Car

My Favorite Panamanian came down an hour later and was excited that the ABFA got her new car. We then engaged in an argument about who had the right information. It turned out (as it usually does) that she had it. The dealer called my son after we had talked, agreed to their terms and will deliver the new car on Monday. The ABFA opined that she felt it was fated to happen because she had nicknamed her old car “Heidi” many years ago and that was the name of the salesperson. BR3 gave them a rough night on Friday with a night long fever after her doctor’s appointment which involved the inevitable vaccinations. She has doubled her weight since birth which surprised no one.


Finally, I owe a debt of thanks to the FBR; another common situation. She and I share a love of jigsaw puzzles and I had taken a hiatus lately, saving the new ones for my impending convalescent period. She’s been after me to start one and I let her select one on Friday. I started yesterday and learned she had provided the perfect antidote for the tedious passage of 2020 time. Jigsaw puzzles are absolute assassins of time. I looked up last night and found it was almost midnight when I thought it was closer to nine PM. Granddaughters. The gift that just keeps giving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment