Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Fun Lacking

I wrote about my Mohs surgery yesterday. I’m no rookie to the experience as this makes the sixth and seventh times the dermatologists have done that type of excavation on me. This one was different in terms of aftermath. While before I’ve always bounced back fairly quickly, there was a lot more pain involved this time, confined to the nasal incision. That’s where the skin graft went in and they actually sewed a piece of gauze on top of the wound. I have to keep the pressure bandage in place without changing for seven days. Thank God I have to wear a mask in public (never thought I’d hear myself say that!). The worst was last night because I had to sleep with my head elevated which was not comfortable but I did rediscover some of the exotic shows on television in the wee hours of the morning.

BR3 Add Seems to Like Day Care

Great Smile

I loved the reactions I got from the granddaughters when they saw the prominent bandage, especially the BRS. She immediately expressed concern for grandpa’s “boo boo” and wanted to take care of me. My son reports that she is always very protective when it comes to injuries. I experienced that during our last weekend there when a small cut on my hand required her immediate attention and a BRS emplaced band aid. Granddaughters are so cool. The BRS is coming off her first ever ballet lesson this past weekend which her parents claimed was a big hit.

BRS Ready for Ballet

Action Shots from Class

The FBR was likewise a little stunned at the recontouring of my face. She wanted to inspect it as closely as the screen would allow. The only problem being it was painful to laugh, which I do a lot whenever I talk with granddaughters. The skin on the nose was pulled tight to close the wound and there was swelling so every time I laughed it tugged at the wound. Fun times, but it proved impossible not to laugh with the FBR. Granddaughters really are the best medicine.


After the very tough night trying to sleep I glanced at the wound care instructions which recommended the application of ice to the area for short spells. Now that would have been a very good idea. Yesterday. I just wasn’t processing yesterday; pain does weird things to the mind. At least I had a dentist appointment to look forward to this morning. I told you September was very special for me this year. They had to drill out the temporary crown because the glue wouldn’t give it up but overall it wasn’t too bad and I can call mission complete on that effort. No more dental visits until 2021, which has to be a better year, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment