Sunday, August 23, 2020

Silly Abuela

More from our quarantine fortnight with the New Jersey bunch as my Favorite Panamanian was in seventh heaven this morning when the FBR thanked her for the latest round of hojaldras with a very clear, “Gracias Abuela!”. This unprompted Spanish utterance was literally music to my wife’s ears and set off a lively chase as she tried to run down the FBR so she could deliver a bone crushnig hug. Both, somehow, survived the altercation.

FBR & Abuela Silly Photoing

Some Sillier than Others
In a sign of time in Pandemia we attended a birthday for a two year old, two houses down from my daughter’s house. Everybody stayed outside and distanced while wearing masks. They brought in a former circus clown by the nom-de-guerre of Crazy Kevin. He performed some juggling feats in the street for the assembled crowd. He juggled balls, pins, knives, and flaming torches. The FBR at one time yelled out for him to be careful because she solemnly told us “safety is important”.

FBR & Buddy Masked up & Ready to Party

Very Sunny Day at Times
The FBR watched a lot of the show from my shoulders which may explain the crick in my neck this morning. Getting old sucks the big wahoo. Kevin’s final trick was juggling from atop a six foot unicycle which had the kids and not a few of the adults in disbelief. The FBR and abuela continue to bond more closely and it goes beyond the occasional Spanish phrase. They sat together on the couch yesterday exploring my wife’s phone which produced a number of silly photos, only some of which I am allowed to share with you.

Crazy Kevin Performing

Juggling

Why my Neck is Sore Today

More than Worth it
Repping Red Sox in Yankee Land
After a few more games of lionshark (see yesterday’s post) the FBR also demonstrated her ability to hit the long ball. She and Wingman have been working on her baseball swing and I was more than a little impressed. She showed some real hand to eye coordination and if the ball was pitched anywhere near her, she never failed to make contact. Some of her hits even went onto the roof of the garage. This is an indicator of just how much time she and Wingman have spent together while quarantining.

FBR and Her Abuela Doing Yoga Together

FBR Seems to Have More Game
There was also some more pool time on a very humid day. I stayed out and watched and the FBR was a different person with her dad in the pool. Every time I get in she starts to wimp out and say the water is too cold. Obviously Wingman doesn’t respond as easily as a grandparent would so she just focused on having a good time. They were fun to watch together.

FBR About to Take Wingman Deep
My favorite part of the day however was after the FBR went to bed. My wife and I sat around the dining room table with my daughter and Wingman. We spent a couple hours discussing everything under the sun. 2020, if nothing else, provides an extremely wide range of conversational topics to engage in. There also seems to be peace brewing between Pee Wee the cat and I. Just another sign of the apocalypse in 2020.

Sure Sign of Apocalypse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment