Tuesday, August 18, 2020

New Jersey Landfall

At long last I no longer have to rely on granddaughter hugs from the FBR via FaceTime. We arrived in New Jersey yesterday with a new record time, making the trip in less than three hours. Of course, the decision not to patronize any public rest rooms (strictly rationed liquid intake) in Pandemia assisted in that decision as well as a slight indifference towards speed limits. The FBR and her parents were waiting on their front door stoop when we pulled up. The FBR could barely contain her excitement. I’m sure her grandparents were no less elated but we’re no longer capable of the sustained jumping the FBR was demonstrating.

FBR Showing Grampa & Abuela Her New Playground

Smiling Contest
It was a huge relief to finally see these most excellent people in person. While I snuck in a trip here just ahead of the pandemic my Favorite Panamanian hadn’t seen them since Christmas. Wingman is at high risk so we’re keeping distance from him until 2 weeks after our visit with my Favorite Son last week. While there are no planned excursions during our stay we want to give the FBR’s parents’ a bit of a rest from their quarantine duties with their preconscious young charge. I can think of no finer idea than being quarantined with this bunch.

The Winner and Still Champion
The FBR wanted to show us everything at once but made sure we saw her new playground almost immediately. She even put off opening her grandparent delivered gifts until after that. That is truly unprecedented. Sometimes you just can’t get enough hugs. This was exactly the boon my battered psyche needed; truly medicinal. Yesterday was also the day I started my new job as area vice president and my daughter had me set up in her home office in plenty of time for the afternoon zoom call.

Grampa & FBR In Pool
After the call we wandered down the street so the FBR could show us her newly acquired swimming ability. My wife was supposed to join us but the temperature of the water ruled that out. The FBR relished having me in the pool with her if for no other reason than repeated dunking; her of me, of course. It really felt like coming home surrounded by these people.



This morning began with the obligatory wakeup call from the FBR who takes great pride in that duty. While my Favorite Panamanian and daughter engaged in an online yoga class the FBR and I started in on a 500 piece puzzle. I was truly challenged to keep up with her. She has scary abilities much belying her young age. Once class was over the FBR dove in to help her abuela create some hojaldras and personally made some fried dough for her grandpa. The Keto diet will be taking some serious body blows over the next couple weeks.

Making Hojaldras!
While gramps was on yet another zoom call the FBR and abuela were out in the back yard painting rocks. I finished the call and wandered out back to find both of them seated in the tower of her new playground reading books and listening to music. I could tell my wife was incredibly happy and the FBR couldn’t stop smiling. A great start to our all too short a time in the Garden State.

Painting Rocks

Playground Hangs with Abuela

Too Happy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment