Monday, August 3, 2020

Freedom!!!

So this is how freedom feels.  I think I can get used to it; of course, as with all things, it is relative, considering we reside in Pandemia. This morning I wasn’t rushing around after my swim getting ready for work. I had to force myself to exercise a bit more leisure as I made breakfast and then descended into the Man Cave to start its makeover. I am currently surrounded by the debris from the past twenty years of my life as I’ll be forced to organize this into a semblance of a work space along with a museum for the I Love Me Wall. A good problem to have.
Celebrating Saturday Afternoon
I was given a great send off by my company on Friday. Since we couldn’t have the usual dinner they had a company picnic in the community room of the company. This was great because instead of just the admin staff I got to share the day with all the employees, many of whom came by the wish me well. Two of the company vice presidents showed up along with my former Assistant GM and best of all, my former most excellent boss. It was a great afternoon eating burgers, cake, and then some more cake (something of a theme for the weekend).
ABFA and BRS Next to Deckzilla

Viewing the Last of Very Short Lived Balloons

BRS Surveying the Terrain
I finally loaded up the car with yet more paraphernalia for my I Love Me Wall and headed home. I reflected this was, by far, the longest I ever worked in one place but it was time. I pulled into the garage at home blaring bagpipe music and when my Favorite Panamanian came out to greet me I felt truly emotional for the first time, realizing I was starting a new chapter in my life.
Flag Pole is Up! 

I got home in time to erect the new flagpole prior to First Friday celebrations. It turned out my wife picked the perfect spot for it because I can now see the flags whenever I’m on Deckzilla. I was bummed because I had so much fun at the family First Friday group call that I completely forgot about a Roothugger Zoom call later that night. After the First Friday celebration I shouldn’t have been trusted with a computer anyways. At any rate, they promised another call in a couple weeks.
BRS and Abuela

ABFA with BR3

On and Cantankerous in Background 

BRS Eyeing the Cake
Saturday was the true highlight of the weekend. While I was a little upset that one of our usual huge parties was pandemically forbidden it turned out the small gathering we had was perfect. My son, the ABFA along with the BRS and BR3 joined Keene Friend and Cantankerous Friend for a socially distanced but nonetheless very enjoyable Deckzilla get together. I was able to sit and talk with each for an extended time which is usually impossible during the bigger parties. I’m glad I got to share the day with two of my oldest friends along with family. I was having so much fun that I forgot to take any pictures.
My Saturday Cake

Bonecrusher Deployed 


Too Cute for Words
My wife created a marble cake and the neighbors provided some ice cream. I think I set a personal record for cake consumption on my Keto Diet vacation weekend. Bonecrusher was deployed to sever the cake and I once again validated my opinion that cake and beer are worthy of enshrinement when consumed together. BRS was a true delight all day as it was obvious she was pleased to escape the house and she donned a Panamanian dress to the delight of everyone. This has become as traditional for two-year-old granddaughters so BR3 should be prepared.
Ready for Life of Leisure

Son with BR3

Wife in front of BRS Created Sign

The Star of Saturday Party
The rest of the weekend was consumed with yard work and talking with the FBR on repeated FaceTime calls. She’s very excited about our upcoming visit, counting down the time we have to spend in quarantine from my last day of work. I also dove into my watch of Besson films. Now I have to turn my attention to the Cave and figuring out how I’m going to fit all this junk on the walls.
Besson Watch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

1 comment:

  1. I figured out who your Cantankerous Friend is immediately. Love the cake! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete