Thursday, August 20, 2020

Puzzlers Unite!

Our New Jersey sojourn continues amidst life in Pandemia. In a development that surprises no one that knows us, the FBR and I have become puzzle buddies. She had a 500-piece puzzle of a psychedelic lion waiting for me when we arrived and we knocked it out in less that two days. I thought my affliction of always missing the final piece had followed me to New Jersey when we finished to find that single piece missing. It had fallen into a box with 7 other puzzles’ pieces and I thought that was the end of it. My daughter thought she was going to take one for the team and dumped all the pieces out on to the dining room table, figuring it would take forever the find the elusive piece. Five seconds later the FBR proudly proclaimed, “Found it” and already placed the final piece. The girl has spooky talent when it comes to puzzles, especially for a four year old.

The Two Puzzlers In Action

We're kind of Enjoying Each Other's Company
The FBR and her abuela have especially enjoyed their time together, be it reading together or painting rocks. They exhausted their supply of rocks that came with the set so yesterday we executed a reconnaissance in force through the surrounding neighborhood. I was the rock bearer in my turquoise plastic pail. By the end of the recon that bucket was pretty heavy but it was all way too much fun.

Abuela and FBR On Recon Yesterday
We also checked in with the BRS and her parental units last evening. The BRS was all about enthusiastically greeting and then ignoring us while taking in the Bruins game in the background. My son reported that BR3 was serially vocal yesterday, squealing for extended periods for no apparent reason. We miss having them with us here enjoying this long overdue family time but the BRS did give us a very ardent goodbye when we signed off, so we’ve got that going for us.

The Obstacle Course
I've started the new job for a few hours each day, usually when the FBR is napping, so a tight window. My daughter lent me her home office which was converted from the attic space. The family cat, Pee Wee, is not entirely sure he enjoys my foray into what had been his exclusive terrain. My daughter warned me about the stairs and I thought she was questioning my waning physical abilities. Not so. It turns out these stairs qualify as an obstacle course. They each vary in size and depth as well as the distance between . If you don't focus you end up sliding down said stairs on your butt. I'm not saying that's happened but it if I were a betting man.

First Puzzle Down
We’re not accomplishing a lot down here but that’s kind of the whole point. After so many months of having to make do with Facetime calls I’m relishing this opportunity to hang out with the FBR, my daughter and Wingman. After the FBR heads upstairs each night we’ve watched a movie each night. The first two were incredibly funny Andy Samberg movies which I didn’t even know was possible. Last night we saw Greyhound, the Tom Hanks’ WW2 film which was fantastic. Hanks can do anything.

This Morning's Production
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment