Thursday, August 13, 2020

Scheduled Up

I was wondering about the scheduling process for the prostate surgery now that I’ve decided to go that way. The doctor on Monday said his staff would get ahold of me “shortly” but there’s enough anxiety laced through this experience that waiting is not a preferred option. I was just about to call them when I received their call yesterday. Predictably they called while I was already on the phone with another company but since I was listening to elevator music while on hold that decision was easy. I’m glad I had a pen handy because this had a lot more moving pieces than I anticipated.

BR3 Proving to be Every bit as Photogenic as her Cousin & Sister
I thought they’d give me a date and time, I’d show up, snip/snip, and then head home. Apparently there’s a lot more involved. This is my first experience with truly major surgery so my naiveté can be understood, if not excused. I first have another appointment with the urologist, followed the next day with a bout of pre-operation testing, two days before the operation I have to get tested for Covid-19 (I’m thinking that’s a new requirement), and finally the operation itself. That date will be September 25th, so it doesn’t look like I’ll be traveling south for my daughter’s birthday a few days later.

FBR with her Favorite Quarantine Teacher Wingman
In an interesting development, since sharing my diagnosis on Frail Deeds a former cadet I trained back in the early 1990s popped up on messages to say another former cadet was a big wig in the company that manufactures the machines involved in my surgery. That cadet contacted me later in the day and offered some more support. He said he’s been in the operating room for hundreds of prostatectomies and here I didn’t even know it was a spectator sport. He knows many of the doctors involved and says I am in good hands with mine.

Very Photogenic
That’s one of the things I’m so thankful for living in Worcester. We are truly blessed with great hospitals. This came to bear many years ago when my wife was diagnosed with a brain aneurism and the doctor we saw ended up being one of the world’s leading experts on the micro-surgery that successfully treated her. I grew up in a small town where any kind of involved treatment meant traveling to Boston or some other bigger hospital. It’s comforting to know I’ll be only five minutes from home when they start carving on me.

Somewhere Great Aunt is Laughing
Because I’m a glutton for punishment I also scheduled a home assessment for September along with the Mohs surgery, the prostate surgery, and a couple dentist appointments. This is my way of inserting some excitement into the mundane life within Pandemia. I want to get a more energy efficient heating system and the state has a program where after assessing the house they will offer interest free loans for this type upgrade. With rona around they do everything virtually. So I’ll be walking around the house showing them things via my iPad. The day after that the heating company will come in to do their assessment. I’ll be having entirely too much fun in September.

No Longer Have to Worry About These
Our daily calls with the FBR are becoming legendary. You can tell how lonely she is for distraction and my Favorite Panamanian and I have become her targets of choice. We are more than pleased to assume that role.  She calls us three times a day and does not brook a non-answer from us, having both my wife’s and my iPad addresses speed loaded. She has created games we play during each call. She’s also been good for my exercise program since she usually asks me to take the iPad up to see her room and then all the way to the basement to view her stowed toys so I’m getting a lot of stair work. Predictably my wife has fully embraced the long time on the calls, talk about wheelhouses.

I Got This
I’m glad I finally have some dates to assign to the upcoming surgery. It seems more real and less something to worry about with those dates. It’s just the next challenge life has thrown my way and I’ve found the best way to confront challenges is to attack (I may have spent too much time in the Army). I’ve got my mind right to go after this. The many messages of support and friendship that I’ve received have been a true Godsend. I know the last thing I’ll think about when they wheel the robot into the operating room is that it was created by a company employing a cadet who had trouble getting up for PT in the morning, but that’s just me.

Latest Alien Watch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment