Sunday, August 9, 2020

Best Weekends Ever Coincide

Eleven years ago I experienced the first of the two best weekends ever when my daughter and Wingman were married. It was a weekend of continuous joy and celebration. I feared for my son because I thought there was no way he could match it. He once again proved me wrong five years later when he and the ABFA tied the knot just one calendar day later up in Nashua. It was different but no less fun and I still smile when I think about either of the weekends. The current weekend has the rare combination of both days falling within it. It was so considerate of my children to make remembering anniversary dates so easy as I slip into dotage. We had so much happiness on both weekends that I don’t think I’ll ever be capable of forgetting either despite the ravages of time and beer on my brain cells.

The Best Weekends
The FBR amazed once again this past week when she started reading! She’s still a full year away from kindergarten but Wingman sent a video clip where she was sounding out words for the first time. Wingman has proven to be an extremely competent teacher during their time together in Pandemia. I now receive three calls a day from the FBR, usually coinciding with her meal times. The very best gift that came out of Best Weekend Ever #1.

FBR Hard at Work
Her cousin, the BRS, has taken her battle with her parents to a new level. My son related yesterday that she has established a BRS exclusion zone by barricading the entrances to her play room. This young lady has definite tendencies when it comes to asserting herself. While painful, at times, for her parents I think that attitude will serve her well in life as long as she can temper it with her demonstrated sense of fun and humor. BR3 looks on at her sister’s antics with increasing interest.

The Stripped Out Tool Box
I’ve started tackling some of the projects I always labeled as something I would get to when I retired. Well, that time is here. Yesterday I moved the cars out of the garage and emptied out my beleaguered tool box. It hadn’t been organized since 2005. I know that for a fact because that was the last time it was packed up and moved by someone other than myself. The organization then was cursory because there was an entire house to unpack as well. I found some very interesting vestiges of long dead projects. If I didn’t know what to do with the remnants of something I was working on, it usually ended up in the tool box. I thought I might just need that ridiculously small grommet or connecting device at some point in the future. I was totally ruthless this time and filled up a garbage bag as order was imposed finally. I give it six months before I’ll have to do it again. It turns out I have over thirty screw drivers. Who knew?

Great Aunt and Soxfather Pool After Storm
Finally, I’ve started my next movie watching marathon with all the Alien movies. I’ve knocked out the first two. When it comes to ranking, Aliens will be tough to beat. A young James Cameron directing and Sigourney Weaver as a true superhero. I’d forgotten just how good she was in these first two installments


 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment