Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Weather Weirding and Missouri Sadness

BRS Photos at Last

I know I live in New England, with about as mercurial a weather pattern ever conceived, but this week added some new chapters to that reputation. Sunday morning I was out in the driveway moving six inches of freshly fallen snow. Yesterday, a mere two days later we were literally in t-shirt weather with temperatures in the 70s. Every speck of snow, with the exceptions of some really stubborn (and large) snow piles, has disappeared. I hadn’t paid much attention when I set out in the morning with my usual overcoat. I spent the entire day inside and was busy enough not to notice the disappearing snow outside my windows. It was kind of jarring when I got out of the car and felt completely silly to have the coat on. I know this is just a tease though as the New England winter is not done with us. Temperatures are soaring again today but I did pay attention this morning and we’re scheduled for an ice storm tomorrow. There and I was just about to buy into this whole global warming rumor.
The Other Grandparents on Station

Riggins wants to Help Grandma
I’ve been experiencing some serious garage door opener issues over the past couple months. Once it got colder the door would stop halfway up and after several more stop and starts would eventually acquiesce to go all the way up. I have the mechanical ability of a semi-educated caveman but I decided to give it a try on Monday. It seemed to freeze at the same spot each time but there was nothing remarkable about that location on the track. I felt a bit stymied until I launched a frontal attack with WD-40 into the underside of the track and low and behold it worked! There was an old saying in the Army, “You only need two things in life: Duct Tape and WD-40. If it moves and shouldn’t, use Duct Tape, if it doesn’t move and should, use WD-40.” I defy you to visit the home of a retired infantryman and not find both products on hand.
Traveling Mode
Monday also marked a very enjoyable dinner date. Keene Friend was in town to knock out some of the final pre-employment requirements before starting work with me next week. He insisted (not that it was much of a fight) to take my Favorite Panamanian and I out to dinner. We tried to go to Val’s in Holden but for what I think is the third time we discovered they are closed on Monday (at some point we’ll remember). We scooted back into Worcester for a very fun dinner at the neighborhood 99. I’m really looking forward to having Keene Friend on board at work. I may even push retirement off if it turns out to be as much fun as I think it will be.
FBR on the Move
Those of you who know Wingman should reach out to him as he is dealing with some tough family news out in Missouri. His mother’s husband lost a long fight with cancer yesterday. Wingman is frustrated at his geographic distance from his mom and trying to work out a way to help her out. He told us last night that the FBR sensed his mood and was trying to cheer him up. Please extend some prayers in his family’s direction as they deal with this tough situation. Wingman is trying to get out there as quickly as possible; I know it’s eating him up.
With her Posse
My Favorite Son returned to work yesterday for the first time since acquiring the BRS. He looked a little haggard when we reached him last night as he is learning to deal with the diminished sleep cycle a newborn engenders. The ABFA, in typical ABFA fashion, is bouncing back nicely. She got behind the wheel of the car for the first time since giving birth yesterday as she squired the BRS around for their next series of appointments. The ABFA’s mom is on hand for grandmother support operations. My son also finally started sending me some photos of the BRS. I was concerned the BRS would read this blog after I’m gone (hopefully well down the road) and find it a little too FBR-centric.
Someone at least is Getting Some Sleep

Bit not Always

Date night had the wife and I out to see the movie everybody is talking about, Black Panther. It is one of those rare films that exceeds deafening word of mouth hype. It’s clearly one of the best Marvel films ever which is rarified air for a dedicated geek like me to assign it to. It is well plotted, fabulously acted, and perfectly paced. The cast is the real strength of the movie but not because of the title character. While he is very good, Boseman is probably the fifth or sixth best actor in this movie. The women and Michael B. Jordan dominate! Lupita Nyong'o and especially Danai Gurira were mesmerizing in their roles as key players for the Black Panther. Jordan’s screen presence as the villain is undeniable and he almost gets you rooting for him despite constantly showing you why you shouldn’t; just charisma to spare. The movie takes on a lot of social issues without beating you about the head and shoulders. There’s also a lot of subtle humor, most of it at the Black Panther’s expense. It’s obvious Bosemen wasn’t a prima dona and uniformly gracious in sharing he screen with this fantastic cast. This is a superhero movie with a soul. This is one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. There was a huge crowd there for a Tuesday night showing mostly African-American which I would definitely recommend as a viewing environment. It was a party as young kids, up well after their bedtimes, devoured this new hero. While everyone wants to make this a socially conscious event it is still a damned fine movie. It says way too much about our movie history of inclusion that it is greeted as such an event in the first place.



No comments:

Post a Comment