Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Game Time

Bonding Time

I still find it strange to have an email pop up at work from Keene Friend even though we’re into the third day of his working with me. It’s a problem I love having. I’m already hearing reports from some of our employees who are impressed with him; no surprise there. I acted as point man for him today as he negotiated his maiden voyage through Kelly Square which any Worcesterite will tell you is not for the faint of heart.
Love's Daddy's Chest, Almost as much as Mommy's

Too Cute
My Favorite Panamanian and I had a great talk with my Favorite Son last evening. He’d just returned from work and he had the BRS snuggled up on his chest, fast asleep. You could tell there was some serious father-daughter bonding going on. I felt like telling him these are only the first few steps on a very profound journey but I think both he and the ABFA realize their lives have been irrevocably altered, in the best way possible. The image also reminded me of my own life when I would come in late in the evening after running around with the Army all day and have some quiet time with both my own daughter and that now so grown up new father. There is something so calming, life fulfilling, and transcendent about those moments when you look down into that little face; at least until a diaper change is needed.
Sleeping Beauty

She Starting to Meet Some of her Other Cousins
We tried to connect with the New Jersey contingent but they were on a family night out to the restaurant and apparently having a very good time. They tried to take a group photo with the predictable results you see here when a two year old is involved and wants to take charge of the process. The FBR is nothing if not persistent.
One Attempt

But I want Control of Camera

Date night had us at the movie theater, of all places, to see Game Night. This was really funny and not in the usual raunchy, adult manner of so many of today’s R-rated comedies (not that raunchy is a bad thing). Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a hyper-competitive married couple who host a weekly game night with equally competitive friends. A supposedly staged kidnapping turns out to be the real thing with the game players only gradually coming to realize it. Each of the ensemble cast has their moments to contribute and the snarky one liners are almost non-stop. I was afraid this was one of those movies where all the funniest lines were spent in the trailers but that was not the case. Jesse Plemons as the creepy cop neighbor steals virtually every scene he’s in but this movie belongs firmly to Bateman and McAdams. This type of quick witted comedy is right in Bateman’s wheel house but McAdams is more than up to the challenge of keeping up with him. It’s a smart, adult movie that never takes itself too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment