Monday, February 19, 2018

Granddaughter Effect

The New Parents, the 2 Cousins and my Daughter

I’ve discovered there is an inverse relationship between the company of my granddaughters and the opportunity to write in this blog. Since they were, in effect, double teaming me this weekend there was no drivel espoused on Frail Deeds since the Friday arrival of the FBR and I could not be happier with that development. Sadly that little bundle of energy is on her way back to her New Jersey home after an all too entertaining weekend together.
We Had a Little bit of Fun Together

First Friday Table
We had a massive First Friday celebration to mark the departure of my Assistant General Manager and it took an even brighter turn when my daughter and the FBR walked in. This was not her first exposure to Brew City and after the obligatory hugs she proceeded to dominate the evening. She kept my end of the table well lubricated by demanding that we clink glasses together to toast the event. She spent most the time in my lap before abandoning me to inspect traffic along Shrewsbury Street through the windows or leading my daughter on a merry chase through the restaurant.
My Friday Date

Taking Charge

Inspecting Traffic
Friday night called for pizza which was soon liberally decorated with Valentine’s Day stickers. I’m sure the rubbish guys will be a little confused when they see that. After pizza we descended into the Man Cave. I acquired a bit of cache over the holidays when the FBR discovered I owned a copy of the 1964 classic TV movie – Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. I am not exaggerating that we watched that show no less than four times over the weekend. I can now quote Yukon Cornelius flawlessly and the Bumble is the FBR’s favorite character. I loved every minute of each four viewings.
Stickers on Pizza Box

Friday Night Bedtime Stories

Saturday Shopping
Saturday was the true highlight of the weekend since it featured the first ever meeting of the two cousins – the FBR and the BRS – as well as the return of my Favorite Panamanian from abuela duty up in New Hampshire. Before we drove up Saturday morning we did a grocery store run where I learned the age old lesson of not driving close enough to the shelves for a two year old’s reach. She is quite the young shopper which surprises me no level considering her maternal blood lines. She also found some Rudolf themed band aids back home that she’d left behind from Christmas. She spent most of the weekend applying the band aides to her face. If child services ever stopped by we might have drawn a few questioning stares.
ABFA, Son, and the BRS

Meeting that Special Aunt

The Cousins Meet for First Time
The FBR launched herself across the driveway to hug her abuela when we arrived in New Hampshire. She was a little more reserved in meeting her new cousin. After a perfunctory meeting to establish the BRS actually existed the FBR devoted most of her time to playing with Riggins. Riggins seemed to really appreciate the attention. I’m sure he’s adjusting to the new reality within the household hierarchy. The BRS seemed truly fascinated with her only aunt – my daughter. I’m hoping when the BRS reads this in a couple decades she’ll have a close relationship with this special aunt. It was great having almost the entire family in one room, missing only Wingman and the ABFA’s parents. Next Christmas should be epic, especially if we can get Great Aunt and Soxfather on board.
FBR and Riggins

Meeting her Only Aunt

They Seem to Like Each Other

Once we disentangled the FBR and Riggins long enough to eat we all sat down for a fabulous chicken dinner my wife prepared along with all the other tasks she’d been doing around the house to help the new parents. Those new parents seemed genuinely thankful she’d been around for this first week at home for the BRS. The ABFA’s mom showed up on Sunday to assumed grandmother duties. Life is all about family.
New Hampshire Lunch

Brother and Sister with their Kids




ABFA Mom


We had to “beat feet” home ahead of a Saturday night snowstorm. It was so good to welcome home my Favorite Panamanian, even with the rather pointed remarks about the cleanliness state of the house. The Saturday night storm should be the standard when it comes to storms. It came in late on a weekend night and was out of here by first light having left six inches of snow to deal with. I knocked out our and a couple neighbors’ driveways before breakfast. Sunday was warm enough for all the streets to melt down to the pavement which made driving no problem whatsoever. Just saying. It also offered me the opportunity play in the snow with the FBR. Her go to move is to throw snow balls at her grandfather. We compared foot prints in the snow and tried to track down the elusive pair of squirrels on the back hill.
Heading Down to Man Cave for Another Rudolf

Band Aid Time



Shopping Mentor with Abuela

Disregard Anything Grampa says About Shopping

Oh, Hi Grampa
In addition to meeting the BRS the New Jersey contingent also traveled north to celebrate the birthday of my Favorite Panamanian. Since she’s usually well south on this date it offered a rare opportunity to be together around the date. We went out for dinner on Sunday night with a great table that allowed a precocious two year old to be adequately isolated so we could enjoy the meal. We came home in time for Bonecrusher to cleave yet another birthday cake for my wife. After the FBR retired for the night the three adults convened in the Man Cave to binge watch several episodes of The Good Place which had us literally rolling with laughter. It was fun hanging out with two of my favorite gals in the world.

Teaching her to Throw Snowballs at Someone Else

Abuela Engaged
This morning rolled around much too quickly. I returned from my morning swim to find all three ladies in the kitchen talking about departure prep. Well, actually the FBR was talking about another viewing of Rudolf which became a distinct possibility with my return. She deigned to allow me sufficient time to prepare my breakfast before I was summoned to the Man Cave. This respite allowed my daughter time to get all the attendant accoutrement traveling with the FBR calls for. I miss them terribly already, even if I had to sit through another viewing of Rudolf (There’s Always Tomorrow for Dreams to Come True).
Bonecrusher Dealing with Another Cake


So Good at Brushing Teeth Now

And Stealing Abuela's New Hat


No comments:

Post a Comment