Saturday, February 10, 2018

The BRS Is in the House!

Holding my Newest Granddaughter for the First time
I’ve been kept on a pretty tight leash the past couple days by the new parents who refused me permission to immediately crow to the heavens about the arrival of the Blog Reader – the Sequel (BRS) or in a less lofty description – my second granddaughter. The ABFA reported to the hospital on Wednesday when signs pointed towards a baby not willing to wait for her scheduled February 11th birth date. That led to a very long Wednesday night at the hospital.
Around 1am the labor started in earnest in what was described as “back labor” which involves pressure on the spine and is intoxicatingly painful. The ABFA is nothing if not tough though and she held out until 5am before requesting an epidural. That brought a bit of a respite and the real pushing began around 11am. The BRS, experiencing a bit of stage fright, didn’t appear however until after 1pm, checking in at 7pounds and 5 ounces. What she lacked in timeliness she more than made up in beauty. In another cool twist of timing she was born four days before my wife’s birthday. Our other granddaughter, the FBR, was born four days before mine. As we approach dotage it will make remembering birthdays so much easier.
The Two Grandmothers

The Tired but Happy Parents 5 Hours After the BRS Debut
My wife and I, as well as the rest of the family, were on pins and needles as we awaited word from the delivery room. Needless to say both my son and especially the ABFA were more than a little drained by the experiences described above. My son finally broke the news blackout at 318pm informing me that I was the very proud grandfather to another beautiful granddaughter.
My wife and I jumped into the car as soon as I could escape from the office and we headed north to meet the young lady. She was not yet five hours old when I first saw her nestled in the arms of her other grandfather and experienced that same click the FBR generated – instant love. She was so small (although I’m sure the ABFA would disagree on that assessment), very pink, and contentedly snoozing away.


My Favorite Son certainly looked like he’d been through the ringer but hovered around the ABFA and his daughter trying to help any way he could. The ABFA was positively serene and gracious to a fault which I found amazing considering everything but I shouldn’t have been. I’m very excited to see her and my son as parents, a role they are ideally suited for. They handled the crowd of four very excited grandparents with ease. The ABFA requested a nurse take the first ever family picture featuring the BRS.
We Have the paperwork
That is except for diaper changing, at least in my son’s case. I was there to see his first effort in that area and I knew we were in trouble when he asked me how to fasten it. He charged right in though and was soon wiping away what needed to be. His mother swooped in to show him some of the finer points involved. I assured him he was going to get significant practice over the next couple years and would soon be an expert.
That First Diaper Change

Soon to be an Expert

True Love

We were lucky enough to witness the phone call between the ABFA and her grandmother, one of the coolest people I know. She’s getting up there in years and is mostly blind but she’s still a really fun person to be around. I think the ABFA gets a lot of her spirit from this remarkable lady. They’d been trying to get her on the phone for a long time and finally succeeded. The ABFA revealed that she’d given birth to a daughter and that daughter’s middle name was the same as her grandmother. It was one of those special moments in life when you see true love in action. Both the ABFA and her grandmother were a bit overcome, as were the rest of us in the room witnessing this.

New Team 
Since I’m up to my butt in alligators at work we had to drive back home Thursday but it was an easy drive because I couldn’t get the angelic face I’d just seen out of my head. Grandparenting really is the best occupation ever invented. We’ll be headed back up Saturday morning for a more extended stay as the new family comes home. In closing I’m so happy to have another granddaughter because the first one has been so much fun. I’m also so pleased she’ll grow up surrounded by positive female role models like her mother, my daughter, her two grandmothers, her two great grandmothers, Great Aunt and many others. Let the adventures begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment