Thursday, February 1, 2018

Disinterest

I’ve never been active politically but I always felt it was my duty as a citizen to follow what our political leadership was up to. If I’m perfectly honest with myself I’ve failed miserably for the past few years. I didn’t even care or choose to watch the state of the union address by the Tweeter in Chief on Tuesday. It all isn’t about the Trumpster either. It seems the political machines on both ideological sides are so determined not to work together on the people’s business that to a certain extent I’ve lost hope and that’s just not right. 
Every single message that comes out of Washington seems to be so massaged and managed that I usually dismiss it out of hand. I owe it to the FBR and the imminent BRS to be more vigilant and engaged. If we, the mass of people in the center of the political spectrum, lose interest in our government then we are creating the ripe environment for tyranny from both ends of the political spectrum. That is precisely because the people who operate there, be they right wing or the radical progressives, are uniformly intolerant of other people’s views. We have to be better and that starts with me. I’ve got to be better.
The motivation for the thoughts above has started a workout program for her parents. When I caught up with them last night I witnessed what has become a nightly ritual for the FBR, my daughter, and Wingman. The FBR demands a Dora the Explorer song be played and as soon as she hears it she off and running. She runs laps around the first floor and requires her parents join her on the journey. She had my daughter put the IPad down and waved to me each time she passed by the screen. At a certain point in the Dora song the Hokie Pokie comes on which she and Wingman danced in the middle of their continuing jog. It was all too funny and had me rolling on floor laughing. She is quite the little dynamo.
Hanging With Dad and the Boys at the Diner This Morning

Needs Fuel for her Runs
I was back at the movies last night. I know. Huge surprise. I’ve now seen no less than 16 of the current movies playing at my local theater. That is due in no small part to the fact they’ve all been free due to the rewards card I’m convinced they messed up on. Mine is to question their largesse and a new parcel of movies arrives tonight. My movie going fortunes will change with this weekend’s return of my better half – the Favorite Panamanian. She’s much more entertaining than mere movies.

I saw Maze Runner: the Death Cure which brings an end to the fairly entertaining Maze Runner series. In this final installment the hero – Thomas, with his few remaining friends, are trying to rescue another of their friends from clutches of the evil corporation using him to find a cure for the zombie virus killing off most of the human population. There are some very credible action scenes and Dylan O'Brien carries the film effortlessly as Thomas. You really have to question his common sense and sense of self-preservation with some of the plot holes he confronted with but this isn’t Shakespeare. It’s good, old fashioned popcorn sci fi which is right in my wheel house. I continue to like everything Rosa Salazar is connected with and she stages a very interesting escape in a bus with just the right amount of tongue in cheek. I liked the film despite the idiotic tactics on both sides and at least this drives a stake into the heart of yet another wannabe Hunger Games film series.

No comments:

Post a Comment