Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Surprise Birthday Dash

The ABFA and BRS Last Night
I wasn’t going to let my Favorite Panamanian’s birthday pass without some personal contact. She’s usually a few thousand miles away on her birthday which would have made yesterday’s antics impossible if certainly cost prohibitive. She’s been performing yeoman work in her role as abuela helping out the new parents – the ABFA and Favorite Son - since last Saturday. They live just outside Portsmouth, NH which is certainly within striking range of Worcester; especially when compared with her usual tropical birthday locale.
Wife's Reaction to her Birthday Surprise 

I swore my son to silence as I planned on surprising her yesterday evening by driving up after work to take her out for a birthday dinner. I was able to get up the driveway undetected and called her from the garage. I told her that I’d left a birthday present for her out in the garage before I left on Sunday and asked her to go out and get it. I loved the expression on her face when she came out and saw me standing there. It was classic.
Of Course there Were a Couple Dozen Roses Involved
Of course, her first concern was worrying about me having to drive home last night. That drive, which wasn’t a whole lot of fun, was more than redeemed by how obviously happy she was to see me. It also gave me a chance to check in on the BRS as she negotiates her first week of life. Both the ABFA and my Favorite Son had the traditional fatigued look of first time parents during that “awesome” first week. The BRS was holding court in the family room surveying her domain with a calculated patrician stare. I’m still amazed how small babies are at this age as I held her while my wife to ready for our dinner date. It’s going to be so much fun getting to know her.

Awesome Dinner Date
We went to a newly opened restaurant just a few miles from the house. The wait staff was surly and the steaks cold but that couldn’t diminish the enjoyment of being with my dinner date. She was also very complimentary towards the sangria they served. We returned to the house where the small birthday cake I’d also brought awaited us. Bonecrusher had also been deployed to provide the traditional family incision. I looked across the room after the cut and imagined the BRS wielding Bonecrusher during future Februaries. It wasn’t such a long drive after all, considering the company it allowed me to keep.
Wife Wielding Bonecrusher

Cake Never Stood a Chance

No comments:

Post a Comment