Friday, February 16, 2018

Earth Shaking Celebration

Mysterious Powers?

We could be in for some trouble in upcoming years if yesterday is any sign. Yesterday marked the BRS’ first week anniversary of her birth. That in and of itself was due for some sort of celebration, but nothing on the scale of an earthquake. Right around the time she decided it was time for the ABFA to start some serious pushing a week earlier in the delivery room a 2.7 earthquake took place with the epicenter just a couple of miles southwest of their home. If the BRS can manage this type event after only a week I shudder to think what her upcoming birthdays will render. It puts her parents and grandparents on notice that she expects proper recognition and significantly raises the stakes as to what constitutes “proper”.
My wife reported the earthquake was a real event in the  house. There was a very loud bang which mysteriously seemed to come from the basement. My son was dispatched there to see if something had blown up. Meeting with negative results he walked outside to see several other neighbors also wondering what had just happened. Remember, this is New Hampshire, not exactly the epicenter of a lot of earth turbulence. The BRS just smiled mysteriously throughout. That one week anniversary also called for her first official post-natal doctor’s appointment which she dominated, putting on another ounce and having grown a full half inch on her one week.
Yesterday was a very long day back on the home front as I had to deal with a rancorous board meeting first thing in the morning. The board had to consider the lack of funding presented in the governor’s budget submission which could lead to some serious service cuts if the legislature doesn’t step up to the plate. I’ve been charged with creating all the possible cuts to bridge the potential budget gap and yesterday was the first public airing of those. The Voices of Inappropriate Worth were out in full force voicing their serial nonsense in an attempt to quell serious debate. One of their suggestions on generating more revenue was to reduce fares and add service – huh?! Overall I thought it went well and the story in today’s paper was more or less accurate which is about all I could have hoped for.
Sleeps in Same Position Her Dad Did at that Age
There are some things to generate optimism though. Chief amongst those would be a couple of ladies currently enroute to my location from New Jersey. My daughter and the FBR are traveling up to spend the long weekend with us and hopefully meet the newest addition to the family. I also get my Favorite Panamanian back tomorrow during that hoped for meeting. Today’s the last day for my Assistant General Manager as she was selected to a GM position at another agency. I’m really going to miss her as I realize how much I’ve come to rely on her advice over the past year. The silver lining to whole affair though is by moving my operations manager into her position freed up that position which Keene Friend is ideally suited for. He’ll start working here in a little over a week. Always nice to have a highly qualified friend ready to fill a gaping hole in my management team. Oh, and today is the First Friday of the Week – lest we forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment