Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Warmed up and Fail

Back in February and March I was firmly convinced this whole global warming controversy was nonsense. It’s easy to explore magical thinking when you’re buried under ten feet of snow and summer temperatures are just a fleeting memory. I remember fantasizing, as I toiled endlessly on the driveway from hell (thought you’d heard the last of that didn’t you- gotcha) that I would miss the freezing cold when the heat and humidity of August descended. It turned out to be a pretty good, if overly dry, August. I never thought I’d be complaining about the heat and humidity is what amounts to mid-September, in New England. But this is what New England weather does to you, it refuses to allow you any predictability outside of the broad strokes of four variable seasons. Yesterday was the hottest day of the year and the humidity combined to produce as uncomfortable a day as possible in these climes. This is supposed to be the start of my favorite time of year – autumn. I just checked the calendar again – summer is supposed to be dying.

Since there were no competing crowds of Panamanian visitors last night for date night my favorite Panamanian and I went to see a movie. The Transporter Refueled attempts to re-energize the action franchise made famous by Jason Statham. You don’t go into a Transporter movie expecting any thespian pinnacles but the new lead actor makes Statham look like the second coming of Olivier. He had none of the charisma, athleticism, and tamped down energy of Statham. The only actor with any kind of acting talent in the entire cast was my favorite Roman legionnaire, Titus Pullo, who plays the dad. The fight scenes were amateurishly staged and the car chases, which should have been a centerpiece, forgettable. This was a cheap and very, very poor attempt and clearly aimed at idiots, such as myself, who would pay for a ticket, thinking the film would at least approach the fun of the original movies. It didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment