Sunday, September 20, 2015

Birthday Budfest

Party Time
Continuing the theme from yesterday’s posting, apparently my title is intact as far as beer consumption. The Panamanian Champion failed to arise intact yesterday morning and his mother informed me that I scored a technical knockout. “You play with the big boys, you have to get up with the big boys.”
Keene Friend 1 and my Wife
We ran up to Keene yesterday afternoon because Keene Friend 2 and his superb significant other were hosting an Oktoberfest birthday bash for all of us unfortunates who turn 60 this year. Since that crowd consists of my high school classmates, it promised to be fun. We first had to negotiate the early afternoon shopping requirements of the visiting Panamanians. I’m sure the Keene TJ Maxx greeted my wife like the returning champion she is. Keene Friend and I wandered down to Scores which is definitely where one should set up during college football season. Every possible game being played was showing. It was almost overwhelming if it wasn’t so cool. My wife actually returned on time with a freshly filled car of tax free purchases and we headed to the party.
Embracing the Foolishness
As soon as we arrived all the birthday boys were subjected to the indignity demonstrated in the attached photos. I made the mistake of texting them to the Pittsburgh college roommate who could not attend. They shortly found their way to the internet for worldwide circulation. A beautiful New Hampshire evening descended as the bratwurst and attendant beers were sent down range. The resident ground hog made several runs across the lawn in search of a neighbor’s apples. Which led the Panamanians to gaze in wonder at the first apple tree they’d ever seen. It also led to Keene Friend 2’s story of his travel to ground hog central, Punxsutawney, PA to retrieve his stolen car when in his early 20s.
Keene Friend and the Panamanians
The best part was catching up with lifelong friends again. I got to speak with a guy that was my best friend in 3rd grade who is back living in the same house that he grew up in. It’s in the same neighborhood as my childhood home so we had a lot of fun reminiscing. The entire group fell back into the rhythms of friendship which in some cases had laid dormant for much too long. It was comfortable, like a favorite worn quilt on a cold morning.
Bonecrusher Made the Trip as the 60 Boys Cut the Cake
Keene Friend 2 created a fire pit which the entire group ended up sitting around for the final hours of the party. The Pittsburgh college roommate called and had the phone passed around the circle so he could at least partially take part in the gathering. Keene Friend 2 kept disappearing around the house and returning with branches for the fire. He dismissed my suggestions concerning the neighbor’s wooden fence. He’s a lot smarter than me. It was a great gathering that ended way, way too soon, even though it was late in the evening.

My wife performed her designated driver role to perfection. At least that is what I’m told since I missed a lot of it. I did wake up to find us closing in on Worcester. I did have enough time to make the drunk call to my sister that I failed to do on Friday night. It was almost like she expected it. I’m predictable that way.
Keene Friend 2 and his Girlfriend Around the Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment