Friday, September 4, 2015

Justice, A Walk and Bon Voyage Not in that Order

A very early morning yesterday as the latest edition of the PanaGals were delivered to Logan Airport for their return trip to Panama. This living in Worcester just gets better and better. I was able to drive them to the airport and return to Worcester in less than two hours, much faster than I expected and in time to have breakfast before heading into work. The house is decidedly quieter and that is not a good thing. I did get my favorite Panamanian back at my side for the nightly news which is definitely a very good thing.
My Wife Between her Two High School Classmates at the Airport Yesterday
I chose to not comment further on the persecution of Tom Brady as it devolved over the months into a morass that defies description. Why a multi-billion dollar corporation decided it needed to pillory one of its best and brightest is beyond comprehension. When the debate shifted to an actual court of law instead of the criminally misleading news leaks and endless talking NFL sycophants of ESPN, the NFL was doomed. While the Patriots are easy to hate outside of New England due to their success and legendary arrogance, the NFL succeeded in making them the victims.
There was a not a convincing shred of evidence that the alleged “crime” even happened. If it did there was no smoking gun that Brady was involved outside of the outrageous claims of the NFL’s toadies on the worldwide leader in sports that “he had to know”. I spent the last four years of my military career leading very high level investigations and I always thought the NFL must have some evidence they were not sharing to take the drastic steps they did in their punishment of the Patriots and Brady. It turned out they didn’t, not even the barest scintilla. They tried their case in the media for eight months and were winning outside of New England but I don’t think they were prepared for their inability to cow Brady. Something innumerable foes have encountered on the field was his iron will and drive to win. This translated well off the field especially when you have the facts on your side. It’s nice to see justice emerge, freed from the fetters of today’s media blitzkrieg where truth isn’t an important aspect to modern journalism. The only crime that was exposed was the $44 million dollar a year salary the NFL is paying its commissioner and his monumentally incompetent team of lawyers.

Since I did have my date back we headed back to the movies last night. The cute young ticket seller asked me if I was eligible for the senior discount which is offered at the age of sixty. I scoffed and said no but then thought, whoah I’m only a few months away from that. This is patently unfair as I can still clearly remember when I outgrew the child discount at the age of 12. We went to see A Walk in the Woods which stars Robert Redford and Nick Nolte as two old guys who decide to hike the Appalachian Trail. I really enjoyed the film but I think I’m firmly in the target audience. I don’t think younger filmgoers will get it. Sometimes, as you get older, just getting out to walk around, freed of the trappings of modern life and recapturing youthful times is intoxicating. Youngsters will just see two old farts walking through endless forests.
Redford plays the calm, successful writer whose idea the trip is while Nolte plays, well Nolte. An overweight loser who’s disappointing life is in sharp contrast. Most of the trip involves the two trying to reclaim their long dormant friendship. I liked the calm approach the movie takes, not going for cheap jokes. This was an actor’s movie and really well acted.

It probably helped that the movie involved a long held dream of my own – to walk the length of the Appalachian Trail.  I first realized this when I was still playing child rates at the theater and I stood at the head of the Appalachian Trail on Mount Katahdin in Maine during a YMCA trip. The military career and life in general prevented acting on this wish. I always figured it was something I would get to after I finished working but then my right knee started to dissolve. I may still attempt it and the movie might have helped because Nolte’s character was hiking with a titanium knee replacement. You’ve got to hold onto your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment