Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Scorched Teens, Customs and Papal Arrival

I think I’ve got this whole early morning trip into Logan Airport down to a science. I made the trip there yesterday to drop off the Panamanians and returned to Worcester in less than two hours. I cautioned everyone the night before that a delay of even fifteen minutes (small change in Latino timeliness efforts) would result in significant delays due to commuter traffic into Boston. My wife was a little skeptical, having endured a lifetime of my stratagems to get her to places on time. Traffic is strange. It felt like we were riding the crest of a huge wave as we drove in. We were at the speed limit (dare I say a bit over) but there was an impressive amount of cars out with us.
What the Mass Pike Looked Yesterday on our way Home
Luckily we were West Bound (left side)
After the hurried drop off at Logan we had a much more leisurely drive back to Worcester and I was able to demonstrate the importance of those fifteen minutes I preached about the night before. Traffic was at a virtual standstill for nearly ten miles on the eastbound road we had just traversed. I took, of course, this opportunity to point this out to my wife, for the historical record. It’s not often that a man wins a valid point with his wife, or is that just my marriage?
The Panamanians arrived safely home but ran into problems with Panamanian customs. I’ve written long and decidedly eloquent odes to my wife’s luggage packing ability. It usually consumes several days before any trip to Panama. She offered her advice to the departing young Panamanians but they claimed they knew better. One of the things she recommended was the removal of price tags from the vast results of their US shopping sprees. She knows whereof she speaks because the customs officers required them to pay import duties on one entire suitcase filled with the exact items my wife warned them about. I always take her packing advice, not that I really have a choice.

My wife, good Catholic that she is (and certainly not a fanatic), is currently enthralled with the Pope’s arrival in the US. I am potentially the world’s worse Catholic but I really like this guy’s style. He eschewed the pomp and circumstance he could avail himself of and tries to remain a simple man. I think this is kind of what Peter had in mind back in the day. The pope didn’t ride from the airport yesterday in some massive limo but in a simple Fiat. I hope some bishops and cardinals were paying attention.
Pope Stylin Yesterday Upon Arrival
In fantasy football news the Cantankerous One has yet to be heard from proclaiming his undefeated status. My sister, on the other hand, took me to task for not mentioning yesterday that she and my brother in law’s team were likewise unencumbered with a loss. My brother in law pointed out that she didn’t handle winning with a lot of polish, probably from her lack of experience with it.

Since I re-acquired my wife with the departure of the Panamanians we went to date night last night and saw Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. The same bunch of fun loving teens that escaped the maze in the first picture now have to deal with a rapidly expanding world that is mostly destroyed. There’s a very convoluted plot as to why these teens are so important, especially since in the first movie the corporation who values them so much now spent a lot of time and effort killing them off. What the hell, it’s science fiction, plot holes be damned!

The group spends the entire movie running from a variety of threats ranging from said corporation, to zombies, to Gus Fring with his face grown back. That brings up a major problem I had with chase scenes. The trail runner would invariably stop to gaze back in wonder at the imminent, and usually very deadly threat, pursuing them. This made no sense on any level, except for the dramatic effect of a close up for the actor. We get it – you’re being chased, turn around and run! Other than that minor, but very irritating point, I liked the action scenes which added a lot of tension. While this was obviously a set piece to get us to the third movie I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment