Saturday, September 5, 2015

Move North

I have once again failed to maintain whatever vestige of control I may have in my marriage. A day after regaining her companionship with the Thursday departure of the PanaGals she was scooped up by the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia for a long weekend in Maine. It was a girls weekend so we desolate males were left to fend for ourselves. I take this as a sign of development on my side as she now abandons me without worrying that I will be able to fend for myself. While I understandably struggle without her expert guidance, somehow I got through Friday without her.
Wife Up in Maine
After a lively First Friday celebration I once again headed north myself to link up with Keene Friend. We leave this morning to my favorite son's home for the annual family fantasy football draft. We tried to rope in the Cantankerous Friend last night but he was decisively engaged with his dad. We contented ourselves with pizza and beer, because that's how we roll and it was Friday after all. Instead of conducting yet another devastating run through the Keene pub scene we channeled the "old fart" side of our social agenda. We were both pretty gassed from full weeks of work.  Since the Red Sox were actually winning a game and not wanting to curse their chances we watched the new Mad Max, Fury Road movie while pontificating on the general state of the world. Charlize Theron did not fail to impress once again but the movie was definitely better on the big screen, non-stop mayhem.
With This Bunch - More Dangerous than They Appear
I've written (some would say ad nauseum) about the sense of home I always feel when I come back to Keene. One of the things I love doing is reading the local paper, the Keene Sentinel. That sense of home was reinforced this morning when I knew two of the people featured on the front page. One of my high school classmates was front page news as they profiled her physical therapy efforts with local children; a singularly impressive lady. The other story was a veteran local politician who was appointed as County Administrator. I remember him as the youngest child of the family across the street when I was young. My only memories are of watching him running around in diapers. I'm guessing some time has passed. So good being home.
Front Page Classmate

No comments:

Post a Comment