Monday, September 7, 2015

Early Morning Drive Followed by Late Night Surprise Gift

I awoke yesterday in my favorite son’s house after a night of dealing with my feet hanging off the end of the bed (I’m too long for a double bed). Sleep was achieved thanks to my heartfelt efforts at reducing my son’s declared overabundance of beer during the prior day’s fantasy football draft. After cleaning up I went downstairs to find Keene Friend contemplating the state of the world after getting up an hour earlier. Since the young’uns showed no signs of stirring we decided to hit the road along with the Wonder Pooch.
I wasn't the Only One is Recovery Mode Yesterday
Pee Wee Assisting Wing Man on his Shire Recovery
We stopped down the street for a quick breakfast which only reinforced my previously stated opinions that external breakfast can only be properly achieved at a true American diner. We then hit out onto the roads for a cross state trip to Keene. I used an alternate routing which brought me along a track that I used when I went to and from college. A lot of memories as I recalled the numerous places I had to wait while hitchhiking (when that was still an accepted mode of travel for the college aged). The best part of the trip was the uninterrupted conversation with the Keene Friend, a great traveling companion.
Wife (l) and the Panamanian Mafia in Maine
After dropping Keene Friend off it was back to the empty house and the tedious routine of Sunday chores without the entertaining company of my favorite Panamanian. Buddy did his level best at making the day diverting but it was a stiff challenge. I felt a need to escape the solitude by early evening; the after effect of what a fun weekend in the company of my favorite people will do to me. I made the two minute trip to the movie theater to see The Gift.
The Obligatory Nubble Light Shot
This was an interesting film that starts out as a run of the mill thriller with the creepy long lost high school acquaintance inserting himself into the lives of a recently moved yuppie couple. Joel Edgerton stars as the creepy guy and also writes/directs.  He shows some real talent as he veers strongly away from the garden variety thriller and recolors the standard for who is really the victim and what constitutes “justice”.
Jason Bateman plays the lead and uses his usual good guy personae to cover up a well disguised dark side. Rebecca Hall continues her strong string of roles, doing well in adding an edge to Bateman’s life as his pill popping wife. I found myself on edge for the entire movie as roles kept getting reversed and predictable thriller events were turned, some subtly, others dramatically. There were large plot holes but at least the film maker took some chances with a well-worn formula and made a fresh movie. Edgerton bears some watching for his future work.

So Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now we get to the late night surprise; luckily I had dismissed the bevy of beauties I had been keeping company with at the house (joking – obviously) because I had just turned the lights out when I received a call from my wife. I had wondered at her half day lack of contact and figured this was her good night call to insure I was behaving myself. I quickly learned that she was making the call from the driveway and needed some help carrying in her various accoutrement. She and the next door Mafioso decided to steal a march on the Labor Day traffic and drove down from Maine last night. It was such a welcome arrival, sleeping alone just plain sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment