Friday, September 18, 2015

Oh Yeah

I am so ready for Friday’s arrival with all its pristine opportunities to explore life without work. There’s also the not so small matter of a party tomorrow up in Keene that has my undivided motivation. There is the minor task of completing the last work day of the week but the portents are all in place for a superb First Friday and all that entails. I first have to survive another round of hooking and jabbing with the union since one of our best drivers was caught using a cell phone while driving (keel hauling is called for). Frustrating that it wasn’t one of the dirtbags who I’d relish the opportunity to sever ties with.
A crusty old First Sergeant I served with back in the day had the best idea. He recommended that the NCO’s select a “dud of the month” at the start of each month. Since we started each month with a battalion sized PT (physical training) session it would be perfect opportunity for wide dissemination to all Soldiers. The selected dud would be kneeled in front of the formation and summarily executed. The First Sergeant opined this would serve as major motivation for those Soldiers needing same. He said after a couple months of this there wouldn’t be any more duds to shoot. I said he was a bit crusty, didn’t I. I told him the plan probably wouldn’t be approved by the judge advocates but I would certainly keep it in mind.
I watched a fascinating edition of American Experience on PBS over the past couple nights. The subject was Walt Disney which offered a no frills exploration of his life. I think they went into it expecting to find all kinds of people ready to heap abuse on the iconic dreamer. As one speaker put it, “You don’t accomplish everything he did without making enemies”. The funny thing was that I was left with even more respect for him after the show and I went into it thinking he merited awe and someone worthy of close to worship. 
Watch This if you Get the Chance
He was a man with a unique insight into the American psyche and his ability to tap into that is still being felt today. I always equated him with my uncles, brothers of my father, who were my definitive male role models growing up, so high praise. I can still remember the excitement each Sunday night at 7pm when we sat down waiting for Walt to appear and lead us on another adventure. His profound sense of possibility was mirrored in his life and death. He spent his last night on earth passing on to his brother his dreams for Disneyworld which were eventually realized in Florida. I heartily recommend this special to everyone, especially those of us who grew up watching Walt every Sunday. I was also reminded once again of the high quality PBS constantly puts on the screen.

My Future Place of Employment
Finally a quick update on the new operations facility currently under construction here in Worcester. It will be my new place of employment in less than a year now. It was also a serious brownfields and the past year has been spent cleaning it up. It was the site of a late 19th century coal plant and nearly 16 million dollars had to be spent remediating all the hazardous materials found buried in the days before environmental laws were in place. The building is now going up and it looks like it’ll be enclosed before the snow flies. Now I just hope my shoes don’t melt when I start working there. I’m assured they won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment