Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Madrugada Returns and Ginmill Visits

Weird day yesterday, on a number of levels, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for years to get some of my subordinate managers to show a little more initiative; something not easily taught or acquired. One of my cardinal rules in this effort has been, “never bring a problem to your boss unless you also bring a suggested solution”. All too often they come running with a problem and want someone else to solve it for them, instead of thinking it through and discovering the solution is something well within their capability and authority.
Sometimes the solution they offer is embarrassingly inadequate but I want them to at least attempt to operate intellectually on the next level of supervision. What made yesterday a little special was that on three different occasions three different subordinate managers came to me with problems and the correct solution. Sometimes, it’s all about making progress.
Since my wife was traipsing around New York City yesterday I was alone for date night but it also permitted the viewing of a horror movie which would be verboten otherwise. I don’t think there’s another director who showed more promise with a first film than M. Night Shyamalan with The Sixth Sense, nearly a perfect movie. His efforts since then have been a descent into mediocrity that is almost as cringe worthy as some of those most recent movies. The Visit isn’t a complete return to form but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
He takes all of the traditional issues the very young have with the very old and adds some barbs to the hook. A daughter estranged from her parents sends her two children to spend a week with their grandparents which leads to the gradually unveiled horror. He missteps using the “found footage” technique but I’ll admit to some real seat squirming, especially in the second half, and that’s why I love horror movies. I was reminded of terror I felt for each of Ellen Burstyn’s walks down the hall to Regan’s room in the Exorcist every time the young kids approached their bedroom door after 9:30PM. There was even a mild twist near the end. A solid, scary movie which for M. Night constitutes a serious win.
My Wife and the Virginia Musquetera with the Sister in the Middle
Yesterday in NYC
Back to my favorite Panamanian, she successfully linked up with the Virginia Musquetera and her sister once they figured out that Penn Station was an entirely different place than Grand Central Station. It’s testimony to their friendship that they traveled up from Virginia and Massachusetts for the sole purpose of my wife meeting the sister. She kind of does that to people, she’s fun to hang out with. The next door Mafioso even volunteered to accompany my wife for the trip down. By all reports, sketchily relayed this morning, they had a very good time. They even provided directions to a lost Guatemalan lady they found wandering near the train station. “Madrugada” is one of my favorite words in Spanish. I like the way it rolls off the tongue. Its meaning, “very early morning” is decidedly more dastardly. It does however describe the time my wife rolled in from her Big Apple adventures last night.
I was thinking alot about New York City yesterday because I was finishing up my latest book in the excellent Matthew Scudder novels by Lawrence block, When the Sacred Ginmill Closes.
The Two Sisters in Times Square
My determined march through this series was interrupted by a couple other books. It was great getting back to Scudder whom I left finally admitting to himself that he was an alcoholic. It felt like getting back together with an old friend. I expected this next book to explore that transition in his life. Instead Block has Scudder flashing back ten years in his life to the height of his drinking days and several separate cases that fell into his lap.
Scudder has to solve a perplexing robbery, a blackmailing, and a seemingly solved murder case. The flashback also allows Block to have Scudder interacting with a close knit group of friends (predictably most of them bartenders) instead of his usual loner personae. As with all the Scudder novels New York City is a central character as he moves around the city doggedly pursuing truth and exacting Scudderian justice. New York comes alive in Block’s work, a living, breathing entity. I think, when I finish that trek through this series, I owe myself an unaccompanied trip to New York City to immerse myself in Scudder’s environment. I loved the book and the opportunity it takes for Scudder to reflect on where his life has taken him, something we should all do occasionally.

I’ve gotten away from including passages from the books I’ve been reading. That was a mistake since they all do a much better job at wordsmithing than I could ever hope to. You can certainly see that here as Scudder considers the ten years that had passed since the cases related in the book passed:


“So many changes, eating away at the world like water dripping on a rock. For God’s sake, last summer the sacred ginmill closed, if you want to call it that. The lease on Armstrong’s came up for renewal and Jimmy walked away from it, and now there’s another goddamned Chinese restaurant where the old joint used to be. He re-opened a block further west, at the corner of Fifty-seventh and Tenth, but that’s a little out of my way these days.  In more ways than one. Because I don’t drink any more, one day at a time, and thus have no business in ginmills, be they sacred or profane. I spend less of my time lighting candles and more in church basements, drinking my coffee without bourbon, and out of Styrofoam cups. So when I look ten years into the past I can say that I would very likely have handled things differently now, but everything is different now. Everything. All changed, changed utterly. I live in the same hotel, I walk the same streets, I go to a fight or a ball game the same as ever, but ten years ago I was always drinking and now I don’t drink at all. I don’t regret a single one of the drinks I took, and I hope to God I never take another. Because that, you see, is the less traveled road on which I find myself these days, and it has made all the difference. Oh, yes. All the difference.”

No comments:

Post a Comment