Saturday, April 18, 2015

Onwards Without El Chacal

This weekend kicks off a series of events that should have my head firmly spinning for a few weeks. Another Panamanian vacation to commence second home building, putting our house back on the market, a Portsmouth weekend with friends from work, and a weeklong cruise to Bermuda with son, ABFA, and ABFA’s parents is a lot to consider for a compressed time period. It’s a very good problem to have.
Brew City Yesterday
The current vacation got off to a rollicking start last evening when friends gathered to mark the First Friday of the week and send me off on vacation. We had the corner seats at Brew City where the wait staff performed their usual performance of legerdemain. I had to text my son at one point because I was sure the best man from his wedding was walking by on the Worcester sidewalk. This impression was further bolstered by the fact he was carrying two gallon bottles of beer. It turned out to be a doppelganger since his friend was safely ensconced back in New Hampshire.
Some Green Is Actually Trying to Reappear on Front Yard
My wife was ready for some sangria when I got home since she’d just returned from two hours with the bank arranging the wire transfer of our first payment to the Panamanian bank. This had always been easy but this time we were transferring to another’s account which was a little trickier. She figured it out though and the money is somewhere in the ether heading south.
Zorba’s was more than willing to provide the needed sangria and accompanied it with some of its traditional out of this world pizza. My wife then recounted her hours long siege with the bank adding her usual flair for the dramatic until her struggles approached epic level. She also recounted the adventures of her fellow musqueteras who reunited in Northern Virginia for a family event. Our trip to Panama precluded her attendance and I could tell it was grinding on her.
My Wife Last Night
She solved the friction by getting on the phone with them as soon as we returned home. Left to my own devices Buddy and I took in the Red Sox game which featured a thrilling 9th inning win, at least I think it did. The week and First Friday kind of caught up with me around the 7th inning. After the game I went upstairs to find the three way phone conversation still in high decibel form. My wife was on one of her ironing binges where everything within eyesight and easy reach is rendered wrinkleless. I was more than a little nervous falling asleep in general proximity but I was not to be denied. My wife reported this morning the phone conversation and ironing binge wound down around 2am.

Don Francisco
Some sad news today as I learned Sabado Gigante (Huge Saturday) was going off the air. I have some very fond memories of this Spanish language program. When my wife and I first returned to the US after marrying she spoke no English and this was a show she always watched on Saturday night, desperate to hear some real Spanish as opposed to my lame efforts. I was drawn in by the hokey nature of the show which was carried by its effervescent host – Don Francisco! (always properly emphasized) It didn’t hurt that he was usually accompanied by beautiful, statuesque women either. When the kids came along it became kind of a ritual for them to watch the show with their mother. My son was especially fond a weird character clad all in black named El Chacal who would burst on the scene for seemingly unexplained reasons. I didn’t always understand what was going on but it was fun to watch my wife and the kids interact each Saturday night. Good memories.
El Chacal

No comments:

Post a Comment