Friday, April 10, 2015

Matrimonial Counsel for Grandchildren

It’s Friday and I have nothing of import to report in my mundane civilian life for yesterday. But, Friday is virtue enough to warrant noting its arrival. Yesterday was spent filling in for the excellent boss and enduring what is hopefully this persistent winter’s last gasp. I also watched the Sox continue a good start while the Bruins literally quit in their most important game of the year.
Whenever news slows down sufficiently I take advantage to write to the audience I’ve intended this blog for from the beginning – my future grandchildren. These mystical creatures may someday arrive on the scene but at this rate by the time they’re old enough to understand what I’m writing about I’ll be too decrepit to be credible (if the next generation holds true to all previous predecessors). I wanted a forum to communicate with them so they’d understand the doddering old fool sitting in the corner (hopefully) was once cogent enough to offer some valuable advice or at least report on his experience. Today’s subject will be marriage.
This is in some form the advice I gave to your parents before their marriage and hopefully it helped a little bit, you’ll know better than I. First and foremost I would decidedly advise against following my route to the altar. Asking a woman to marry you after knowing each other for only three days is not recommended. Luckily your grandmother was/is special enough to overcome the constant challenges life with me has thrown up. We’re into our thirty fourth year of marriage as I write this so I guess we’ve figured out a few things.

Marriage is tough, no matter how great the attraction or love between the participants. Life has a way of creating obstacles and challenging each person to remain married. It’s become way too easy in today’s disposable society to back out and divorce. I know both your grandmother and I thought about it seriously at different times. I’d encourage you to stay the course because the reward is more than worth it. The life you build over the course of the marriage can’t be fully appreciated until later in life when you face mortality, can reflect on and cherish having a partner. I know I still get excited when I get home each day to see those flashing brown eyes that captured me back in 1981.

The best way to attain this equanimity is communication. You have to communicate what you expect out of the marriage and your partner ahead of time. Make sure your goals in life are amenable with theirs; most importantly about children. You shouldn’t discover fundamental differences or expectations after the wedding ceremony; sit down ahead of time and talk – communicate.

Once married you should be able to shelve your own self-interest to acknowledge your partner has his/her own views. You have to account for the existence of that equation in a marriage. It won’t always be fun or completely comprehendible at times but you have to make the effort and you do that through communication. Marriage is too important to guess at. Your grandmother doesn’t especially like movies (at least as much as I do, but to be fair, few do) but she still goes each week with me. I will never cut a very impressive figure on a dance floor but I go a lot because this is possibly even more important to her than my movies are to me (a close vote to be sure).  These are just a couple examples of what I’m trying to convey. If you’ve picked the right person they will take some measure of pleasure out of knowing they’re doing something that makes you happy.

There will be disagreements, they’re inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing as long as they’re not allowed to fester; which means we’re back to communication. A good rule of thumb is not to go to bed angry. Anger is not conducive to rest and often precludes more enjoyable activities. Oft times truly hearing and understanding the other’s point of view will extract all the venom out the issue that commenced hostilities. Swallowing your pride long enough to acknowledge you may not have been completely in the right can make all the difference.
I don’t claim to have all the answers but I can tell you that it is more than worth the effort. I’m heading into what remains of my life with a woman whose shared most of what has gone before and is still a lot of fun to hang out with. I honestly don’t think you can put a price on how good that feels at this point in my life. I’m honestly excited about my remaining years; especially if you guys decide to make your long delayed appearance.

I’m a product of a very nasty divorce between my parents so I know whereof I speak. That divorce marked everybody involved in very different but profound, life changing ways. I saw, up very close, what it did to the children and vowed I would never inflict that on my own. I can only say, if you pick the right partner (which I did against all odds after only three days) there’s a level of sublimity that’s hard to adequately describe.

Granddad, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment