Monday, April 20, 2015

K-Nined

Day two of vacation was entirely more restful if not a whole lot less busy. I’ve been charged with the care of the next door neighbor’s two cocker spaniels while they are out of town and they are so much fun to hang around with. They actually come when called and are supremely disciplined. Buddy looks like an uncouth country bumpkin next to them. I was bounding between the houses all day both yesterday and Saturday which had Buddy in a little bit of a snit; he doesn’t share well.
My Well Behaved Charges for the Weekend
I had the sad duty of bringing Buddy to his temporary Rhode Island home while we are away – my sister’s house; or, as it is known in the animal kingdom, nirvana. My sister has a deep love for all animals and a similar inability to be angry with them. This of course puts her squarely in Buddy’s wheel house and he is not all that upset to be abandoned there for a short time. I just hope he realizes the pool has thawed and he shouldn’t try walking on the water. His divinity is well short of that capability which was definitively proven last year during a soggy stay.

Buddy in the Car Telling me to Get a Move On
As with every time Buddy has departed the realm my wife and I immediately felt the impact and not just because we could leave food unattended. There was a gaping hole in our rhythm of life. A dog wends his way into your life so intrinsically that you immediately note the absence; all the little things that make canine ownership so rewarding. I spent a little extra time with the neighbors’ dogs last night to compensate. 
Buddy and his Cousin Bailey Praying at the Altar of my Sister
Unbidden, both of our children called last night to wish us a safe journey, proving once again their quality.  They're too much to brag about at times but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying. Well we’re off to the airport. The next post should be from Panama - wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment