Thursday, April 9, 2015

Crowned Furious

I was fortifying myself yesterday for another couple hours in the dentist chair as I was scheduled to have my temporary crown replaced with the permanent one. The first episode was not a fun filled experience so I steeled myself for more fake stoicism. I could not have been more wrong. There was no Novocain involved at all. I sat down and the dentist reached into my mouth with an enhanced set of tweezers and broke off the temporary crown (glad she remembered which tooth it was).
The only troubling part was when she had to scrape the remnants of glue off the now fully exposed tooth. She warned me that “my tooth might feel a little sensitive” which is dentist speak for “mildly painful”. That was short lived though as she brought out the new crown, slapped some cement on it, inserted it, had me to bite down, and that was that. I was out of there in less than twenty minutes.

My wife returned to date night with a viewing of Furious Seven. You don’t go into a Fast and Furious movie expecting grand thespian adventures. What you do get is a series of car stunts, beautiful women, totally impossible action sequences, and some real heart. This was strange on a couple levels. First and foremost was knowing Paul Walker died in the middle of filming. Wondering how they would handle it was in the background throughout. I won’t go into detail in case you haven’t seen it but I thought it was perfect. Understanding we’re not talking War and Peace here but it was classy, poignant, and true to the themes of the series. Nuff said.

The other strange aspect was seeing my wife’s favorite boy toy, Jason Statham, as the villain. He’s so charismatic that it was tough reimagining him as truly evil, but he gave it a worthy effort. The film itself was a thoroughly enjoyable romp through the misadventures of the Furious gang, elevating their scams to the global terrorism arena. Needless to say there were the usual plot holes you could drive one of their souped up cars through but this is to be expected and almost reveled in. A lot of harmless fun if you go in sans your Oscar ballot and need for reality.
Buddy on Patrol this Morning
I would also like to officially protest the continued presence of winter. It's mid-April, goddammit! We got another coating of snow overnight.
Front Yard - Coated Again

No comments:

Post a Comment