Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Newsflash Delayed

The Gang in Red at the Bakery
The big news scheduled for release is delayed for a couple of days. The retardant effect of lawyers involving themselves in any process is alive and well south of the border. They’re currently reviewing the paperwork involved with our future second home and this will delay our signing the paperwork until tomorrow at 2pm, or so we are promised. This still fits within our schedule so we’ll use the time while we’re waiting for a couple of side trips.
First Tuesday in the Baru
Yesterday I took my wife and her two sisters, all clad in red shirts, into the mountains above Davis to the town of Boquete. This is one of my favorite places in Panama with moderate temperatures and nestled between some towering mountains. In the last few years they’ve seriously upgraded the highway to Boquete and this makes the trip less than a half hour from David.
Sangria Taking Efffect
We stopped at a bakery on our way into town because, according to the assembled Panamanian womenfolk, the bread tastes better in Boquete. We declared a needed celebration for the first Tuesday of the week (all right, that was mostly me, but I am on vacation). We stopped at a favorite tavern, the Baru, which sits right in the picturesque town central plaza and watched the crowds wander by. There was an interesting mix of Panamanians and gringos of all varieties, mostly European since there was a youth hostel next door. A scruffy but well behaved bunch for the most part, although it left me wondering why there was some many Rastafarian hair styles from the Finns.
My Wife in the Central Plaza
Since we’re scheduled for steaks on Friday I summarily moved the weekly pizza dinner to last night and the Baru did not disappoint. My wife and her younger sister consumed some of the potent sangria offered and this resulted in a post dinner shopping expedition which I was helpless to prevent. I wandered around town while the gang in red terrorized the central shopping district. When the dust settled, luckily they close early on weeknights, I found I was the proud owner of a new Panama hat. I had scurrilously torn my last one in a major faux paux which my wife corrected with this purchase. So at least I’ll be styling for the rest of the trip.

Then There were Three

Some Views of Boquete


We’ll be travelling to a place I’ve never been before today, Potrerillos. It’s where my father in law is from and he’s very excited about showing me around. It’s back up in the mountains which will be welcome since I’m rediscovering the dense humidity that comes with the rainy season.
My New Hat

No comments:

Post a Comment