Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Justified Ride

I took a huge one for the team last night, said team being my marriage. My singular act of heroism you ask? I squired an appreciative wife to see a Nicholas Sparks movie – The Longest Ride. It was everything she hoped for and I dreaded but she was so happy, not to mention tear drenched, that it was more than worth the pain involved. The story involved some star crossed lovers (Sparks – remember) whose future seems impossible until they meet on old man who recounts his own love story for his departed wife. Their story is told through flashbacks which has the movie jumping forward and back with dizzying regularity.
Clint Eastwood’s boy plays the modern lead, spookily reminiscent of his father in those spaghetti westerns. He might have a future in films if the sighs emanating from my wife are any indication. It was nice to see Mrs. Rob Stark resurrected to play to wife of the elderly story line which was a lot more compelling that the modern version. It was a formulaic, predictable, estrogen laden Sparks chick flick which had my wife waxing philosophic about the beauty of love and thanking me profusely for not having to watch anything blow up this week.
I needed some X-chromosome time when we got home and I settled in to watch the series finale of Justified which has become a true obsession since my son first alerted me to it. I really, really liked the way the series was brought to conclusion. Redoubtable US marshal Raylan Givens is allowed some growth and the final scene with his longtime nemesis Boyd Crowder was pitch perfect. This was an Elmore Leonard creation so I think they shadowed how he treated his quirky characters.

It was jarring to see Sam Elliott as a villain summarily sent on his way as the various plot lines were woven into end stories. None of the major characters were left hanging which is difficult to do well but handled adroitly here. Raylan has his long awaited show down with the Elliot’s annoying quick draw motor mouth which was the only shocking moment. It did allow viewers to bid farewell to one of the signature items of the series. Well done, Mr. Leonard would be well pleased with how his creation was ushered out to pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment