Saturday, April 25, 2015

Fugitive Buyer and a Large German Bier

Yesterday was chock full of adventure since we finally signed the paperwork for the purchase of our beachfront condo. There is always a lot of running around when you try to get anything done in Panama and yesterday was a great case in point. We had to wait for the signed sales agreement before we could go to the bank to complete the loan process.
Wife and I Last Night at El Fogon
We showed up at the bank but the loan officer was out of the building doing something so we arranged to come back an hour later. We then dove into the traffic in central David which is always a lot of death defying fun as traffic laws are more cautionary notes than actually observed. After a couple errands where my wife’s psyche was seriously traumatized as she observed me starting to “blend” in with my fellow drivers we returned to the bank.
The Anniversary Couple
Since the lawyers had held up the paperwork until Thursday and we couldn’t come to the bank until Friday the loan will now go for approval on Monday. This means we have to come back to Panama for a couple days at the end of May to sign the final contract, it never ends. Once we had that business taken care of we turned our attention to the sale of our land.

The handshake agreement we made Thursday night had to be formalized but the prospective buyer wasn’t answering emails or phone calls all afternoon. My wife was becoming increasingly frazzled by the lack of contact. She didn’t react well to my feelings of equanimity, she’s funny that way. I suggested she contact the “fixer” who put us together with the buyer to remind him that we’re leaving David today and his commission was in danger. Fifteen minutes later the buyer was back on the net and agreed to our terms. My wife’s sister in law had a lawyer cousin who drew up the contract which we signed last night.
Tackling My Valentine's Day Gift
After a day fraught with traffic and bureaucrats I was ready for my usual Friday rituals. My wife had purchased a fancy, and very large, German “bier” for me as a Valentine’s Day gift but had forgotten to give it to me. It had been awaiting its fate ever since in my mother in law’s fridge. The beer was more than good and brought back memories of its many predecessors in late 1970s Frankfurt, especially the Alte Brucke, my favorite pub. The Germans just know beer and this excellent example of their prowess had to be consumed before the Panamanian heat robbed it of cool temperature. I was up to the task but my wife immediately took note of the superior potency of the alcohol content, claiming I transitioned rather quickly into philosophic mode. A text to my children was treated in similar manner by those haughty youths.
Brother in Law and his Savior Wife
After completing my task I transitioned back to my normal water-like beer as we travelled back to El Fogon to celebrate my wife’s parents’ sixty-fourth wedding anniversary. I spent a lot of time talking with my father in law who related some fascinating stories about Panama in World War 2. He had a German friend who was interned by the Americans and actually met Charles Lindberg once when he flew into the area; pretty cool stuff.

My wife claimed I agreed to go dancing with her last night at some earlier point in the week. While I found her assertion dubious in the extreme I love going to her favorite haunt – Joron Zepeda which is where we ended the night. The ladies were a little upset with the music playing but we still had a very good time. The strangest thing occurred when we left well before midnight (a true first). We were all a little gassed from a truly full week of life changing events. We’re packing up now to head for the airport and flight down to Panama City. The hotel we’re staying at has terrible WiFi so this will be my last blog from Panama; again, a very good week.
Inside the Joron

Indeed - A Very Good Week

No comments:

Post a Comment