Sunday, April 12, 2015

Latticed Thunder Run to Lacrosse Portents

Where do I begin to describe yesterday? A day completely engorged with activities from oh dark thirty to my late night semi-conscious ramblings on Keene Friend’s couch. My wife would only permit a long delayed thunder run north to Keene if we accomplished several tasks she deemed necessary as we prepare to sell the house.
The Needed Repair
I had to repair the lattice under the front porch which the despairing winter winds blew out at some point. This involved crawling under the porch with the obligatory multiple head strikes as bending over becomes increasingly challenging with each year. Buddy squirmed his way under the porch with me to offer his expert advice on the repairs. I was able to put the original lattice back together well enough that a trip to Home Depot to buy a new panel wasn’t needed. I was relatively proud of my accomplishment until my wife pointed out that was just the beginning of our morning. I was soon engrossed in myriad tasks in the basement as I moved deck and porch furniture out of winter storage and then helped sort through the debris of ten year’s accumulation.
Buddy Assisting Under the Porch
One of the good things about the constant military moves was the need to jettison un-needed items when the time came to move each couple of years. We’ve been here for ten years now and everything that moved down the food chain of necessity invariably ended up in the basement, hence our task yesterday. We’ve lived in thirteen different houses during our marriage and we always seem to expand or contract possessions to fill whatever size house we were in. Unfortunately this is a very big house and the expansion continued unabated until last year’s decision to sell.
Repair Completed
We made a sizeable dent in the stashed items yesterday rightfully consigning some to the rubbish while others will achieve new lives as donations to several charities. While my wife was toeing a very strict line on getting this work done I knew she was also psyched to see Keene Friend after her long absence and in no small measure also re-acquaint herself with tax free TJ Maxx.

The Keene Friend and I were summarily deposited at the Elm City Brewery while she set out for her reunion armed with a bevy of birthday gift cards. I think we felt a slight tremor in the earth when TJ Maxx first sighted her entering the parking lot. The Elm City bar was full and ably “manned” by the very comely best bar tendress in Keene. She had Keene Kolschs served and ready without even hearing our order as Keene Friend and I took up station on one of the walls. The Red Sox and Yankees game was playing on the huge television so we were able to follow that while also continuing our usual highly intellectual conversation. A young guy asked the television be switched to a soccer game which didn’t go over very well with the room. I think he heard my rather loudly stated opinion of the switch and of soccer in general. He asked the television be returned to the Sox game to stave off the lynch mob which was gathering. The kolschs slid down with their usual ease as the Sox pummeled the Yankees which were almost as much fun as spending time with Keene Friend. 
The M.I.A. Birthday Boy
We reached out to the Cantankerous Friend (whose birthday is today!) but he was being a dutiful son and squiring his dad around to some racing venues. We passed on our intended itinerary for the rest of the day to his mother hoping he would catch up with us. We were equally unsuccessful in reeling in Keene Friend 2 from his Saturday pursuits. We did engage with another high school friend, my college roommate, from his Pittsburgh haunts. For some reason he was on a Billy Jack rant and we were forced to remember some of the more obscure lines from that 1970s masterpiece of filmmaking. As the Sox game wound down we reluctantly bid adieu to our favorite bar tendress and wandered into downtown for our next destination, Scores sports pub.
Keene Friend At Scores Yesterday
This place has become our go to terminus since it arrived on the scene a few pub crawls ago. Keene State College was having an alumni event in the back room but we were able to get our usual table right in the middle of the main room and additional beers were soon flying down range. The owner of the bar knows Keene Friend and wandered by to spend some time with us and told us why so many beautiful young ladies were massing as more and more walked in. There was a reunion for the college’s lacrosse team scheduled for the evening. At certain points we were literally surrounded as crowds of beautiful young ladies swirled around our table. We were properly respectful, trying to keep our eyes raised to the dozens of televisions but this was not easy.

Keene Friend and I astutely observed that apparently all female lacrosse players are incredibly lovely, at least that was definitely the trend last night and this was well before beer goggles were in place. We considered this an education in the importance of Title IX in college sports and were asking where we could sign up for season tickets. I dutifully reported, via text, to my wife that we were surrounded by beautiful women hoping this would bring an end to her shopping but this information was not enough to thwart the siren call of TJ Maxx. We were thus forced to endure an extended time in the company of the ladies. I was beginning to wonder what the hell was wrong with the male population of the college since there were twenty females for each male. Eventually word must have leaked out as desperate bands of young men started to enter the fray which made for very interesting spectating.
A Panoramic View of Scores Yesterday
Which Does Not Do Justice to the Assembled Pulchritude
Ultimately my wife did deign to bless us with her presence. Interestingly she didn’t even come in to Scores but summoned us across the street for dinner at Margarita’s for our usual fare. It was a fitting end to the day as both Keene Friend and I had to decompress from an afternoon/evening of sports, beer, and beauty. My wife conducted a very thorough de-briefing but this was superimposed on her knowledge we are completely harmless.


After this very long day we ended up back at Keene Friend’s couch where he prepared a birthday brownie since my wife’s birthday passed while she was dodging the winter in warmer climes. The length of the day and the serious amount of beer donated to my afternoon caught up with me as I spent most of the end of the Bruins season napping on the couch while Keene Friend and my wife caught up with each other. I learned today that I did wake up a couple times to offer some rather profane opinions which I was thankfully forgiven for although I am paying for today on a number of levels. A great thunder run for the company of Keene Friend and our indoctrination into the college women lacrosse phenomena.  

No comments:

Post a Comment