Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine’s Day Surprise


Well today is Valentine’s Day or what should rightly be called “Hallmark Day” as an artificially created day of romance to sell more card and roses.  What the heck, it works for me – the world can always use a little more romance.  My biggest problem has always been that my wife’s birthday falls two days before Valentine’s Day so when I go to buy her roses (her personal kryptonite) the prices are always artificially jacked up because of the holiday.  Today promised to be a little more subdued because my valentine is a couple of thousand miles away.  She was burning up the internet and telephone lines last night talking with friends and family from her command center in Panama.  I was called upon to coordinate some of these efforts but for the most part was politely asked to stay out of the way.  She wanted to talk with me this morning so I carried the special phone we have, a dedicated line to Panama, with me as I went through my early morning routine.  When she called I was consulting with Buddy about some of the news in the newspaper.  She directed me to a spare bedroom where she had hidden a Valentine’s Day card before she left a few weeks ago.  I was very touched by this because I knew what a whirlwind her last few days in country had been.  She also left a huge chocolate kiss (my kryptonite).  She is usually the one blocking me from eating chocolate; I believe it has something to do with my health, so this was an added surprise.  In the lonely times in the house this was a very nice change of pace.  She may be a long way from me right now but she’s still my valentine and now I have a huge piece of chocolate (well ¾ of a huge piece of chocolate) to help pass the time.  Thank you sweetheart. 
My Valentine

2 comments:

  1. Happy valentine's day, Dad!! Great to see you & Buddy for a second last night -- I left Mom alone after a few minutes so you two could talk! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy V Day as well, know you're psyched for Paris. She really enjoyed speaking and seeing you last night.

      Delete