Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rhode Island Thunder Run

Myself and my Two Friends Flanking My Son at the Irish Bar
Two of my best friends showed up yesterday and along with my son we headed down to Rhode Island for dinner at my sister’s house.  It was a great gathering of old friends and the food was awesome.  Since my wife wasn’t with us I was able to get seconds and a huge piece of Death By Chocolate cake.  I’ll have to pay for that infraction by working out a little more this week.  We then moved out for one of my favorite activities – an evening in a neighborhood Irish bar with my brother in law’s tremendous family.  We’ve done this repeatedly since I returned to New England and I always look forward to these evenings.  This time was even more fun since I had both my son and my friends with us.  It was a great evening of fellowship and poking fun at one another.  I was so pleased that my son would actually consider this fun; rare to find someone his age willing to spend a Saturday evening hanging out with his father and friends.  My brother in law’s family is so much fun – just exceptional people.  It’s special to have friends you can hang out with and there is rarely a quiet moment as the conversation ranges across a truly eclectic range of subjects – none without some hearty humor injected.  Technology is catching up to our generation.  I know I’ve commented before about the times I’ve seen groups of my kids’ friends gathered and no one is talking but have their faces buried in their smart phones.  A couple of times last night we caught ourselves doing the same thing.  One of the subjects discussed was that the instant access to information greatly reduced the old tradition of bar room arguments about trivia.  Now we can get instant answers about who is right.  Last night it was a discussion about the two John Wayne movies that are virtually the same movie, Rio Bravo and El Dorado.  Inside of twenty seconds my son had answers to the point of discussion and a complete cast listed out.  I know if it had been someone from my generation it would have taken a lot longer.  I ended up drinking way too much beer but I was truly caught up in the spirit of the night.  One of my friends had generously consented to be the designated driver.  We all got up a little slowly this morning but as we discussed it a little bit of the magic of the night before was still present – a really good time. 
My Sister on the Right, My Brother In Law and Some of Best People in the World


No comments:

Post a Comment