Friday, February 10, 2012

Stroll Down Memory Lane Continues

Last night I continued with my project of transferring old VHS home movies to DVD.  I was watching events from 1991 and 1992 and was struck again by some of the simplest moments instead of the main events.  I saw a favorite aunt, now long deceased, as we visited her house.  The house itself was an important character in my life as it was the scene of the beloved Thanksgivings of my youth.  I seemed to understand that, even back in 1992.  I took pains to capture the house itself when I was filming – the tall staircase we were all warned about as children, the field where we played so many football games, and the wooden blocks I played with when I was five years old.  You don’t realize how much you have changed until you see yourself in a movie from twenty years ago.  My wife called when I was in the middle of this and we got on Skype for a video chat.  I made the mistake of moving the camera so she could see Buddy and inadvertently exposed the current state of the kitchen to her.  She immediately picked up on this and delivered a well meant, but less well received, lecture of my shortcomings concerning home cleanliness.  She relented at last, realizing I held the health of her beloved house plants hostage.  I don’t like talking on the telephone, something my wife does not understand.  In this case opposites did attract.  We also had a get together after work last night at the Worcester Train Station.  This is a huge building that is usually empty outside of special events and was so last night as well.  Our get together was in an almost deserted upscale restaurant in conjunction with another agency that we do a lot of work with.  This was short but very welcome diversion from the solitary home life I’m currently experiencing.  I also realized I work with some really nice people.  
Union Station Worcester - Where We Were Last Night

No comments:

Post a Comment