Saturday, February 11, 2012

Son Rising

Buddy and His Favorite Human at Christmas
I had a very nice surprise last night.  I was expecting to come home to an empty house in order to finish cleaning the house prior to my son’s arrival.  When I pulled into the driveway, there he was, having caught an early flight.  Buddy was ecstatic having his favorite human around, literally bouncing around the yard.  We had a great evening, going to our favorite place for beer and pizza.  We talked a lot about his upcoming project at work.  He had been faced with some difficult decisions and balancing his relationship with the first gal that I think he’s truly been in love with.  His bosses at work were amenable to modifying his work assignment so he wouldn’t be forced to spend two years away at a time he wanted to fully explore his feelings for this lady.  I was so proud that he felt strongly enough about her to go to his bosses and told them that this girl was more important than this very important and career enhancing assignment.  I know I wouldn’t have had the same courage at his age.  Equally impressive was that the bosses were willing to modify the assignment to keep him happy; says a lot about how well he’s doing there.  We watched a couple of movies he brought with him and today we’re headed down to Rhode Island with a couple more friends for a thunder run at an Irish bar.  It’s great having someone else in the house, we even video chatted with the wife this morning.  I can always tell when my son is in residence because the couch in the family room begins a journey across the floor.  This happens because he is running around with Buddy and “has” to leap onto the couch to escape Buddy’s frustrated snaps.  Buddy gets frustrated because he can’t catch my son and Buddy is used to being able to run me down in a few short charges.  I either lose my breath or am laughing too hard to continue the pursuit.  Great weekend so far and it looks like its only going to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment