Monday, February 20, 2012

Jet Blued

I had an interesting trip out to San Francisco yesterday.  My company paid for a limo ride to the airport from home – I felt really special.  The “limo” showed up which was actually a 10 year old van with a driver blessed with a serious body odor problem – I felt less special.  I was the second of three passengers who eventually rode the bus to the airport, about a 60 minute drive.  The guy in the front seat was very uncommunicative and kept opening the window even though it was around 45 degrees outside.  As we were arriving at the Boston Airport, just exiting the Ted Williams tunnel, this guy rolls his window completely down and commences to throw up repeatedly.  I was extremely impressed with the guy’s technique as all of it landed outside the van although mostly along the windows of the van.  The best part was watching the horrified looks of the people getting dropped off at the same place.  Mothers were covering their kids’ eyes and we had no problem finding a parking spot.  The guy, when he finished blowing chunks, apologized profusely  - the first words he had uttered during the trip. I said no problem, I hoped he felt better and I’m just glad he wasn’t flying on my airline today.  This was the first long distance flight I’d taken with Jet Blue and I was not totally impressed.  I loved that each seat has its own television – I was able to watch in its entirety as the Bruins totally blew another game to a weaker team. I thought the plane was much too small for a transcontinental flight – the stewardii (I know they’re not called that anymore) confiscated four of the over head bins for their own stuff and drinks and snacks.  I had the very last seat which was great because it was right next to the bathroom.  I also had a 300 pound woman sitting next to me because her 60 pound daughter wanted to sit next to the window.  She sort of flowed over from her seat to mine and quickly appropriated the joint arm rest.  The only problem was that the controls for my television were on that arm rest.  Whenever she moved the channel would change or the brightness would be adjusted to shine out the TV.  She seemed like a really nice person so I just changed it back without complaining – I thought that would have been a cheesy complaint on my part.  This was a six hour flight and the only food offered was two sodas and a bag of chips.  My coworker arrived and we took the twenty minute train ride to the rental car counter where I was reminded again about Hertz customer service.  The line was really long and as soon as another person joined the line another Hertz rep would take a break – it seemed to be a real correlation.   We eventually got our car and made a trip to Hayward, California, where we’re staying.  It was 10PM local time and 1AM on our body time (east coast time) and we finally got something to eat – there’s a burger joint right across the road.  So the day turned out okay – they were really good burgers and I got the internet up on my work laptop in the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment