Monday, February 13, 2012

Feliz Cumpleanos Mi Amor



The Birthday Gal - With Devastating Eyes
Yesterday was my wife’s birthday.  She’s down in Panama for an extended visit with her family and was able to celebrate with her twin sister.  I really miss her and yesterday was probably the worst for me but I was so happy she was able to party with her great family.  I saw some pictures today on face book from the birthday party and it looks like it was a lot of fun.  I still remember the first time I realized I was in love with this lady.  It was on our second date, the day after I met her.  She was turning around to say something to me and she was bubbling, full of life and her eyes were just flashing.  My heart melted and even though it’s been over thirty years she can still do that to me with her eyes.  The next day, on our third date, I asked her to marry me.  We’ve had an incredible journey together.  Neither of us really spoke the other’s language that well when we met, but we figured it out.  When I think back on her courage of marrying a foreigner and then moving away from her family and culture, following me all over the world while raising two kids, I’m a little bit in awe.  She is so full of life and one of those people you just gravitate towards.  I often introduce myself as her husband because she is so gregarious and outgoing that she’s usually made friends with you even though you just met.  I admire her courage – she defended our kids with an almost blind fury if she thought they had been wronged.  She also has an incredible compassion for the downtrodden.  Each month I find we have contributed to some new charity and she goes out of her way to assist whenever the opportunity presents itself.  While down in Panama a couple of weeks ago, the Indians staged a huge protest closing down the Pan-American Highway for over a week because the government had granted mining licenses in their native lands.  The police eventually pushed them out and there was some bloodshed.  Even though this led to some deprivations in her home town she was solidly behind them.  They had a gathering in the center of her home town that she happened upon and she joined them immediately.  I was concerned for her safety and had to gently remind her that this was not the U.S. and she should be careful.  She scoffed and said she was doing what was right.  She’s an incredible woman and I’m lucky she’s let me hang around her for the last thirty years.  Happy Birthday Querida, Te Amo! 
The Birthday Party in Panama - She and Her Twin Holding the Pinata


No comments:

Post a Comment