Friday, July 1, 2022

Shelving

Over the years I’ve accumulated an embarrassing number of movies from DVD to Blu-ray to 4K. This is in line with my lifelong love of the cinema. The only problem is I rarely watch the movies that I have because there’re so many other diversions available and my Favorite Panamanian doesn’t always share my love for certain genres. About ten years ago I decided to watch my entire collection from a to z. It took over a year but I accomplished it. One of my cousins, hearing about my exploit, said she had a lot of sympathy for my wife. The problem has always been choosing which movie to watch.

The Near Capacity Rack
One of the things I looked forward to upon retiring was to watch these movies again because, supposedly, I was going to have all this time on my hands. While I’ve found retirement not as replete with extra time as I anticipated I decided it was time to realize this ambition. The only problem being that my collection has more than doubled since my last effort. Even if I watch a movie a day it will still take me nearly three years to complete the task. I hope I have enough time left to do that.

Since my movie rack is nearing overflow status again, despite moving nearly two hundred movies to other locations, I’ve decided a decimation might be in order. As I go through, I’m going to decide if I should keep the movie on the active roster or consign it to the oblivion of the storage box where earlier eliminations reside. I know this all sounds more than silly but I do love movies. I got off to a fast start over the past two days and knocked out three, all of which made the cut and will remain on the active roster. I know you were worried about that. 2 Days in the Valley, 2 Guns, and 3 Days to Kill remain highly entertaining and hold up well. If you haven’t seen Danny Aiello in 2 Days, do yourself a favor, “Another f—ing DOG!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment