Sunday, July 24, 2022

McShawn’s Return

Last evening marked a return to a cherished event that hadn’t been possible since Soxfather’s untimely departure. We call these things a McShawn’s night because they started out at an Irish bar named, obviously, McShawn’s. With the arrival of the pandemic, we didn’t want to miss out on the always fascinating times these nights entail so we began having them at one of the homes of either Soxfather or his family. The attendees are based around Soxfather and his family and I was privileged enough to be included despite Soxfather’s sister absolute hatred of my photographic abilities, or lack thereof.

Soxfather's Sister (r), Sister in Law & Great Aunt in Shadow

McShawn's was Back!
Last night we gathered at Great Aunt’s house which was a big step for her. She hadn’t hosted a group at the house since Soxfather’s death. She admitted to a bit of nervousness but was more than up to the task and performed her usual sterling hostess duties. My Favorite Panamanian and I arrived a bit early since Great Aunt also invited us for dinner before the gathering where we were joined by Namesake Nephew. We gathered on Great Aunt’s back deck for the McShawn’s night and in the biggest surprise I’ve had in a very long time, all of Soxfather’s family arrived on time. That is virtually unheard of and we had a practice of inviting them a half hour earlier than the actual start time because we could count on them being at least that much late.

My Favorite Panamanian and I

Soxfather's Sister Commenting on my Photography

She's a Real Fan

Day 15 Progress
It was another fun night only marred by my Favorite Panamanian’s deteriorating health situation. I had to pay particular attention since she was my designated driver for the ride home. We had to leave earlier than either of us wanted to because of that. Soxfather’s memory was a palpable presence all night for those of us gathered. I’m sure he was on everyone’s mind as we navigated this first McShawn’s night without him. The coolest part was no one was afraid to bring him up and talk about the wealth of memories and emotions he bequeathed us. So, this was an important baby step towards moving forward without his beloved presence but, as I said, he was there with us (and probably very pissed about the state of the Red Sox)

Wingman's Reunion Tour Culminated Last Night in Minneapolis
He Returns Home Today

FBR was at Chuckie Cheese's Yesterday

A Real Competitor

With a Slimmed Down Chuckie
One movie fell in my A-Z effort, Ad Astra, a keeper and much better than I remembered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment