Saturday, July 23, 2022

Redeployment Angst

I am safely back in the warm (almost too warm) confines of the Man Cave with the attendant sore muscles from another morning burrowing into my back hill for the future patio (significant progress there for just one day). I was worried about the balky knee but the power of Advil still compels it into behaving, even for the uphill lugging of all those buckets of dirt. I’ve started extending the retaining wall into the hill and have reached the point where it starts curving towards the fireplace, hence the sore muscles.

Departure Dinner
Day 14 
Our last night in New Jersey was a lot of fun. We picked up the FBR from day camp and, almost as if planned (which I wouldn’t put past her), the ice crem truck pulled into the parking lot as we walked to the car. There ensued a race against time for the FBR to finish off her soft serve ice cream cone before the blistering heat rendered it into soup. Once she had eaten all the sprinkles I was summoned to assist. As I’ve said before, I cannot deny her anything. We returned home for yet another viewing of Lightyear while we waited for my daughter to finish work upstairs.

Race to Finish Ice Cream in the Heat with Abuela

Schooling Granddad in Cards

Watching the Golf Behind our Table

Even More Ice Cream!
We all, including Wingmom, piled into the car for dinner out at the FBR’s favorite Maplewood restaurant. My daughter likes it because there is seating outside and usually a number of other families the FBR ends up scurrying around the area with. The FBR took it upon herself to brief me on what was expected and just how the process worked at this restaurant. She was very specific and used small words to insure I understood. She pulled a card game out of her bag of tricks and soon was trouncing me in a game as I struggled to understand the rules. She assured me I would eventually figure it out. The food was good but the company was great. Despite the heat we were very comfortable under the tent with a golf course directly behind us. In telling evidence that she had a very busy day at camp, the FBR ate all of her meal without question despite the earlier foray with the ice cream cone. She followed up dinner with a dessert of, you guessed it, more ice cream. At least I know she comes by this ice cream loving trait honestly. She has certainly inherited the love of ice cream from a certain grandfather.

Last Walk to Day Camp

Saying Goodbye to the FBR
I made one last walk to day camp drop off on Friday morning with the FBR, my daughter, and their neighbor’s twins. Talking with fellow six-year-olds immediately trumps any uncool conversations with grandfather. I still relished the time watching this sprite prepare for her adventures of the day. We also had to didge while trying to assassinate any Asian Lantern Flies we came upon. There were a lot and the little buggers can seriously jump.

Meanwhile in New Hampshire

BRS and BR3 are Gearing up For 2 Weeks at the Beach

BR3 is Ready!

Beating the Heat with Popsicles
My Favorite Panamanian and I hit the road after breakfast, trying to shoot the gap between morning rush hour and the inevitable crush of a summer Friday afternoon on the roads. We made great time even though Connecticut made its usual effort to snag us up a couple times. We made a quick trip to the Depot to acquire bricks for the aforementioned retaining wall. The Red Sox greeted us home last night with possibly the worst game of their long history, giving up 28 runs! It wasn’t bad enough I was bereft of the company of my daughter and the FBR and they went and did that to me. Spirits will rebound this evening with a dash to Rhode Island to hang with Great Aunt and the incredible Soxfather family

Three more movies have fallen in my A-Z effort, Above the Law (didn’t make the cut based on sheer pomposity), Absolute Power (keeper, crackling good murder mystery with great acting), and The Abyss (keeper, reminder of what a great filmmaker Cameron is).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                         

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment