Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Jersey Landfall

You will ascertain from the accompanying photos that I am no longer breaking rocks in my back yard. My Favorite Panamanian and I wanted to get down to New Jersey to assist our daughter with the handful that is the FBR ever since Wingman headed out on tour over a month ago. We finally made it down yesterday after the usual cat herding process of getting my significant other into the car. Connecticut barely put up its usual fight and we arrived in time to pick up the FBR from her day camp. Realizing grandparents cannot deny her anything, our first stop was the nearby ice cream truck. It was totally called for considering the high 90s heat.

Executing my Important Job as a Landing Zone for the FBR
Upon arriving at home, we retreated inside to wait out the worst of the heat. This meant I was able to (forced) to watch the newest Disney zombie movie (it’s a musical if you can believe it). The FBR takes a very concerted effort to make sure I am fully up to date on her movie repertoire. We eventually made our way to the back yard where the FBR demonstrated some improved bat speed and power. Luckily the pitcher wasn’t struck by any of her laser beams. This, however, proved to be too hot an endeavor and we went back inside so she could open the customary presents we brought. She didn’t buy our story that we forgot.

Disney Movie Watch

Note to Self - Closing Eyes During Movie with FBR
Leads to Immediate Groin Strike

Baseball Practice

This One's Headed for the Wall
My Favorite Panamanian volunteered for the FBR bedtime process while I was scanning the different streaming services they have for the movies on my A-Z list (I might miss a couple during my stay or, egad, watch them out of sequence). The Favorite Panamanian faced a real challenge as yet another ice cream truck parked directly under the FBR’s window and blared its siren songs for a full twenty minutes while the FBR was supposed to be succumbing to sleep. I think that had something to do with the direction I received this morning from my granddaughter as we walked to camp to make sure I came with money to buy ice cream when I go to pick her up this afternoon. The walk to day camp also called for assisting with New Jersey’s invasive species eradication efforts. The spotted lanternfly (Chinese, of course) was everywhere and our mission was to stamp on every one we saw. Just doing our part, ma’am.

When the FBR Steals Your Phone for Selfies



Camp Drop Off This Morning
This visit is not without its inherent dangers however. As usual these dangers are wholly a result of my idiocy. After returning from day camp drop off, I availed myself of my daughter’s peloton bike for a workout. I have a little more length in the legs than my progeny so I moved the seat up. I did this too quickly though and didn’t truly lock it in. This meant that shortly after I started the workout the bike seat crashed down to its lowest point. This wouldn’t be anything but embarrassing except for my bad knee. With the feet locked into the pedals the bad knee was immediately bent at a more extreme angle than it was prepared to endure. My Favorite Panamanian came rushing in and had to help me extricate myself from the awkward position. A few deep breathes later I was able to strap back in and finish the workout but the knee is going to be barking at me for the rest of the day. I predict ice in its immediate future.


Two more movies have fallen in my A-Z effort, keepers and both probably in my top 100, About Time (if you haven’t seen it – you are so wrong) and The Accountant (great action with an autistic hero)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment