Monday, July 25, 2022

Dodge Fail

Ever since this benighted virus descended on us three years ago my Favorite Panamanian and everybody else in the world  (who’s not a Trump supporter) have been trying to dodge that pesky little virus. Our efforts included following all the guidelines, including masking up and getting four different vaccine shots. Those efforts didn’t prevent an infection, though I’m sure the vaccines will prevent a serious case for my Favorite Panamanian. Last Friday, on our return from New Jersey, she developed a small cough. Neither of us were concerned because she had a similar cough a couple weeks ago that was probably caused by pollen. While we were enjoying Great Aunt’s and the Soxfather’s family’s company on Saturday night she grew rapidly worse, necessitating our return early from that gathering.

Wingman Has Returned!
Much to the FBR's Delight
The ride back was not fun as she had to drive despite a wracking cough. We tested as soon as we got home and we were both negative. Sunday brought a worsening condition for her and when she said she felt too sick to go to church I knew this was different, she is a serious (but not fanatical) Catholic. We tested again and she popped the dreaded T-line on the test indicating she had Covid. I still tested negative so I assumed the support role while she took to bed. I was also consigned to the other master bedroom for the duration (harder than is sounds after 40 years of marriage). We know she picked up the virus during our trip to New Jersey based on the time her symptoms appeared. We were together for virtually everything while there and had the FBR with her summer camp cooties crawling over both of us.

My Negative Test Result - You Grow to Hate the T-Line
The only event she attended but I did not was church. She went to mass each morning we were there (like I said, a serious Catholic). It could have been something as simple as touching the door knob as she walked in. I’m refraining from telling her my lack of devotion may have saved me from the illness. I don’t think she’s ready to joke about it yet. The one silver lining in having dodged it for so long is that the system is now more prepared to deal with it. I called the doctor yesterday and this morning I picked up some Paxlovid. If it’s good enough for the commander in chief I figured we could chance this new drug. She’s doing about as good as can be expected and says she feels better today.

Still Digging This Morning
Day 16 Progress
The worst part about this is it will keep us from joining our Favorite Son for his birthday tomorrow. Something we’d looked forward to all year, especially after we learned they were once again staying at the fabulous beach house they rented in Hampton Beach last year. It was so tough to hear the excited voices of the BRS and BR3 in the background as I broke the news to my son. Typically, he was more worried about his mom and getting her better than worrying about us missing the festivities. There was also very good news in New Jersey where Wingman returned home after spending all summer on tour. I was at the bank today (fully masked) and was asked by the teller, “How was your weekend?” I don’t think she realized the depth of my sarcasm when I answered, “Oh just great.”

Two movies fell in my A-Z effort, both keepers and about as different in tone as possible, but still fun: The Addams Family (Angelica Huston and Raul Julia – too funny) and The Adjustment Bureau (who wouldn’t love Emily Blunt).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment