Monday, July 11, 2022

Retiring Monday

I have it on good authority that today is Monday. One of the very coolest aspects about retirement is that this day is no longer the harbinger of the start of a work week. It has become, instead, something of a day to look around and savor not having to worry about work. A couple a weeks ago my former boss checked in with me and invited me to attend his Monday meeting with my former peers, regional vice presidents. I had the distinct impression that hew as trying to entice me back into some sort of employed status. It will surprise my family that I felt no inclination whatsoever to snap at the bait. I guess I really am retired. He’s sent a follow up text asking me to join them but I’ve been too “busy” so far.

FBR Teasing her Abuela
Mondays also serve to reflect back on the time spent over the weekend with friends and family because some of the most important people in my life are still fettered with a work week. Not so for Great Aunt, who texted me late last night, after another thrilling Red Sox win over the hated Yankees, about how great it was being able to stay up late to watch the Sox without worrying about getting up for work. We received the above photo of the FBR who attended something called Maplewoodstock with her mother over the weekend. The FBR really enjoyed the experience and got to, in this photo, once again, torture her abuela by having one of my Favorite Panamanian’s most coveted snack – cotton candy. The FBR seems to extract an almost unhealthy amount of joy about said torture.

Day 6 Progress
After taking a day off from the backyard project due to a granddaughter presence dispensation I was back out on the hill this morning. This was the first real dive into the packed dirt of the hill and it went better than I expected. The pickaxe helped a lot. My Favorite Panamanian came out to check on me/supervise and cringed when she heard all the rocks I was hitting with every shovel full. It has become so routine that I didn’t think it was a big deal. I will have to move my collection of excavated rocks up the hill tomorrow since I’ve reached their temporary storage place in front of the fireplace. Two more movies have fallen in my A-Z effort, both keepers, 30 Days of Night and The 40 Year Old Virgin. I still flinch during the waxing scene.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment