Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Reclaiming Title and Early Morning Pelicans

My Favorite Panamanian and I are settling in beach life having unpacked almost everything. Yesterday our dedicated handyman arrived to address the locked closet door. I was a little mollified that his burglary attempts were as unsuccessful as my own blighted attempts the day before. He ended up drilling out the lock and replacing the entire handle. I assisted him re-installing the balcony blinds. These curtains block out the afternoon sun which really pelts that side of the condo during this time of year. The added benefit, I got to lean out over the three stories of height to assist; that is always fun. The brackets that hold the shades up are being worn away by the salt laden air, so I have to find replacements online as they won’t last beyond this year. Our handyman stands ready to create a homemade version but recommends we try to find factory made replacements.

Teased the Family with This Photo of Last Night's Sunset
I’ve also re-established my long-held title as the whitest man in Panama. Since the whole skin cancer situation started to manifest a few years ago I’ve taken great pains to maintain the pasty complexion I’ve been “blessed” with thanks to my English, Irish, Scottish, and Norwegian (I know weird) ancestors. I know my semi-annual skin screens with the dermatologist are now alerted to my annual Panamanian sojourns because I accidently mentioned it last year (she was very cute so my common sense predictably fled). I lather on the highest sun block I can find as well as wearing swim shirts and wide brimmed hats. I already stood out in Panama due to my height but now I gleam like a beached fish when compared with the beautiful skin tones the Panamanians boast.

It Was Pretty Spectacular

I have re-started my early morning workout routine where I have the entire beach to myself for miles in each direction. My only companions are dozens of low flying pelicans who cruise along the surf in long lines trying to score fish, I assume. I’ve always thought the last pelican in line must be hungry. Anyways, I do my ab workout beside the pool, then move to the beach for strength exercises, then boogie boarding (at least five rides all the way to the beach), and end with a swim workout in the pool. For that last part, since the pool is fairly small, I use my bungee cord invention strapped to my left leg to allow a true workout. Since I have to fight back through the surf, I count the boogie boarding as exercise. By the time I finish all this my Favorite Panamanian descends to join me for a couple mile walk on the beach. This gets us to around 10am and the sun is really starting to assert itself and we head inside for breakfast. Beach life, got to love it.

Beach This Morning


My Early Morning Workout Partners
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment