Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Final Stages

My somewhat fractured plan for our four-month deployment to Panama is weirdly coming together almost in spite of myself and some other factors. The latest road block was my Favorite Panamanian getting sick again, once again, thanks to our intrepid granddaughters in New Hampshire. They seem to think a parting gift is required and the only thing they have that is truly their own to present to us with is their latest malady. This time it was a stomach cold that felled my wife in her tracks yesterday. We had the at home Covid test which confirmed she wasn’t facing that, which is everyone’s first fear nowadays whenever they feel under the weather.

Plants Relocated
This meant the pre-deployment cleaning tasks she had lined up, fell to me. In my own. In my less than humble opinion, I think I did a great job. I did, however, use the wrong cloth for the kitchen cabinet cleaning which my wife was only too happy to point out before she thanked me. The big task was the migration of all the house plants from their various locations to a central one in the dining room. The hose sitter will have it much easier than I did in prior years when, during my wife’s absence, I had to seek out and find each of the far-flung plants for watering. Woe be unto me if one of them died in her absence.

The Family Typhoid Mary

She Looks So Innocent
One of the biggest challenges I had to face involved the state DMV. I know. Scary. Since I bought the Highlander in February a couple years ago, the registration renewal and annual inspection falls in that month. Since I plan on longing on a Panamanian beach during that month I had a conundrum to face. In a startling development that I would have thought could have easily served as the basis on a highly unbelievable science fiction movie, the DMV was easy to work with. I renewed the car registration online and received it three days later. I knocked out the inspection this morning which will move it January each year. The final hurdle was my wife’s driver’s license which expires in February, her birth month. Once again, I went online and seven days later, she has a new license, where they used her on file, five years younger photo. The feared trip to the DMV and waiting the renewal license to show up was completely unnecessary. I’m think I now operate in some parallel universe where the DMV is easy to work with. I will admit to a serious amount of prayer was involved when the mailman showed up each day.

Success!!!
To celebrate approaching the finish line of pre-deployment plans, I decided to test drive my new professional sized popcorn maker. Alright, the real reason was the needed special popcorn arrived, courtesy of Amazon, yesterday. The first lesson I learned, very quickly I might add, as I rushed to close the front glass door, was to insure I pull the top down to cover the pot so popcorn isn’t spewed all over the room. An important lesson to be sure. The second load went much better and I felt almost competent. I will have to clear the air in the Man Cave after each use but a small price to pay form movie theater quality popcorn.

FBR Modeling one of her Christmas Gifts This Morning
This morning dawned much better, despite an intermittent ice storm. My Favorite Panamanian is back on her feet and says she feels great. So only a 24-hour bug to vanquish, which is a definite improvement over the head cold BR3 bequeathed to me during a prior visit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment