Friday, January 21, 2022

Pony Up

Yesterday was completion day in that I found myself smiling every time my recently returned Favorite Panamanian spoke, usually in a somewhat vain attempt to supervise me. After forty years of marriage it was cool to have our pair complete again. I laughed out loud when she proclaimed that the day was her “Day for Telephone Calls”. I was laughing because, as I told her between laughs, that description fit every day for her. She is truly wedded to her electronic devices and almost constantly talking with someone. I, of course, get the blame as she claims I don’t talk enough. I counter with the argument that if I talked half as much as she did there wouldn’t be time for anything else. My wife, to her immense credit, is helplessly social, which is a very good thing. With the burgeoning aspects of social media, she now has multiple avenues to connect with friends.

At The Show Pony Last Night
First Time I combed my Hair in Over a Week!
We were sitting down on the beach last evening for our daily sunset ritual and she was juggling calls from her sister, her mother, and our next-door neighbor back in Worcester. I was impressed. The sunset was only mildly spectacular and we decided to walk down to the Show Pony Hotel for some after dinner libations to celebrate our reunification. I was required to use my phone to light the way since my Favorite Panamanian is deathly afraid of stepping on snakes; probably a legitimate concern. The bar was going to closed but stayed open for a bit longer so my wife could get one of her Tootie Fruity drinks. I had my usual Atlas beer while we waited through the process of creating her drink.

Wife Juggling Calls & Wine, Sunset Yesterday

Our Sunset Station

The Policia Joined us for a While



The bartender agreed with my wife about snake avoidance and said it was a valid fear. He went on to say there was a small river behind the hotel where they recently discovered a 9 foot caiman (alligator) had taken up residence. Life in the tropics, all we need now is for a jaguar to wander down the beach. As we got away from the condo lights, the clear night sky with an amazing display of stars was visible. It’s reminder when you get away from civilization and the attendant nighttime artificial light pollution how spectacular the night time sky can be. I didn’t leave the Show Pony without a prize. I collect the t-shirts of any bar I go into and the Show Pony had a great one. It has the favorite phrase of my wife’s home province of Chiriquí which is the word, “Meto!”. It can mean literally anything, much like the Army’s use of ‘HooAhh”. A good night.

My New T-Shirt

Beach This Morning, More Crowded than Usual


Got my Walking Partner Back
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment